SubscribeBlack Phantom Tetra
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
EditedEdited by Gone_Troppo
Hi all,

Our black phantom tetras have two-tone fins - the parts of the fin closest to the body are almost coulourless while the outer parts are black. See photo for an example.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s250/Gone_Troppo/phantom.jpg

Is this normal?

They have had this colouration for ages and I can't remember if they were any different when we got the original school of 8. The fish are active, eating well and not showing any lesions, spots etc so I don't think that they are ill.

I just want to be sure that they are healthy.

GT

Edit: Just got a semi-decent shot of the tank - How do I put a link in my signature?

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2007 15:15Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Yep, that's perfectly normal. It doesn't look like your fish have anything to worry about, judging by the picture.

Adding a link to your sig ought to be the same as adding a link to any normal post. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2007 17:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
Every thing is normal, however your should name this fish a Male name. Males can be identified by their longer fins and lack of color. Females will have a definite tint to the fins, and even the body, which is fuller than the males.

Djrichie
"Don't Panic"

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2007 20:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Actually, separating Black Phantom Tetras by gender becomes a breeze once they're mature. Apart from the fact that males have much more flowing dorsal and anal fins, look at the pelvic fins and adipose fin. In males, these are the same black as the dorsal and anal fins. In mature females that are capable of producing eggs and spawning, the pelvic fins and adipose fin contain red pigment - in some specimens this is VERY noitceable.

Here's a photo that shows this (although not too well.

Most of the photos on this page are photos of male specimens, but there's a female depicted in the bottom photo of the set that shows the red pelvic fins and red adipose nicely.

As a consequence, finding a pair for breeding shouldn't be difficult.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 05:48Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Thanks for the reassurances as to this specimen's health

Now for another question... Can this species change sex?

We had a mix of both male and female in the original school and over time the females have passed away so it is now an all male affair. Over the last couple of days I have noticed that one of the fish I had previously identified as definitely male (ie black fins all round, longer dorsal) appears to be getting a red colour to it's pelvic fins, it's not the same bright red of the females we had previously but there is definitely a change in colour towards red. (unfortunately the only camera I have access to does not render reds well so I can't post a pic)

I'm just wondering whether this fish is just very late to mature or whether being all males in the tank the only way to gaurantee the survival of the species is for one to turn female (??)

GT

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 11:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Can't recall sex change having ever been observed in any Characin species. Livebearers, yes (Swordtails are the classic case) but Characins, no.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 16:05Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies