Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCongo Tetra
Iceterran
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 0
male usa
hey i just picked up a congo tetra and acclimated him slowly last night, this morning he looks fine but wouldnt eat any hikari freeze dried bloodworms. The net says they should eat just about anything, anyone have any experience?
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 15:12Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Hi, I had 4 Congo's they are very attractive fish, especially when they mature.

You might find that it will need some time to feel confident enough to eat. When I first got mine they tended to be a little nervous first off. Once they felt at home they ate EVERYTHING that was put in the tank, even the crickets for my African Butterfly fish.

Just give it some time and i'm sure it will be fine. Maybe, if your tank is big enough you could get a few friends for him. That could also be why he is a little timid.

They do grow to be quite large tho, so make sure that you have enough space for them. I had 4, as I said, in my 49 gallon and I ended up having to move them as it was not large enough for them once they matured.

Cheers
Crusha

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2006 16:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Corydoran
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 370
Votes: 1217
male usa
Is the tetra the only congo tetra, and are there any other species in the tank?

It would make a difference if it felt safe with others of its own kind, especially if there are any potential threats.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2006 18:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Iceterran
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 0
male usa
congo tetra, 4 lemon tetras(tiny) spotted raphael cat, small rope eel, and clown pleco, they seem to get along just fine but its been 2 days and the congo hasnt eaten yet =/
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 14:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
It may be settled in the tank but still nervous without company. It also might be picking around for food when you're not around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 16:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Congos, especially males, are quite shy without company and cover. If you really want them to be active get at least 2 more(1female to 2males works great) and make sure you have plenty of decorations or plants. I added some new males to a newly planted tank that hadn't grown in yet and they smashed themselves into the bottom corners of the tank repeatedly. With a group of 8 in a heavily planted tank they never hide and are usually dashing about the tank with the males displaying for the females. They spawn about monthly in the morning or evening.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2006 22:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies