Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGlowlight tetras
mikeingeorgia
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
Votes: 0
male usa
I've been thinking about setting up a new 10g tank and have been considering getting possibly 5 glowlight tetras for it. I would like to also have a pair of German blue rams, and an otocinclus. I've been considering the glowlights due to their size, availability and because I've never had this particular species before. (There's so many, I've got to try different kinds). Your thoughts would be appreciated, mikeingeorgia

29g - 5 Head and Tail Light Tetras, 1 Black Phantom Tetra, 1 melanistius cory, 1 Featherfin Synodontis, 1 otto
29g - 14 harlequin rasboras, 5 albino corys, 3 ottos
10g - 1 glowlight tetra, 2 Black phantom tetras, 1 red betta on entertainment center
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2007 00:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
male usa
This might be slightly crowding your tank; 4 Glowlights might be better.

I see no intrinsic problem, but a few observations of my own about Glowlights:

(1) They seem very timid; put in fewer than 4 and they'll likely spend a lot of their time hiding behind things.

(2) In my experience, they are -- unfortunately -- pretty delicate and subject to disease, possibly as a result of inbreeding. Don't be surprised if you lose them frequently.

(3) They absolutely love algae wafers, and presumably other vegetable foods as well.
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2007 05:32Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
timg
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
i have several glowlights in with other fish in a tank and have had no problems with them. They are happily mixing with bettas, Columbian redfin tetras, neon tetras, chinese algae eaters and bristlenose plecs.

I have also had no problems with sickness with them, and they have been in the community for 6 months now.
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 12:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mikeingeorgia
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
male usa
Since I posted this, I've done some thinking and then some measuring. The stand is big enough for a 20g tall so I think I'll get that instead. Still would like the same fish, maybe 6 glowlights instead of 5 but otherwise the same with 1 otto and 2 rams? /

29g - 5 Head and Tail Light Tetras, 1 Black Phantom Tetra, 1 melanistius cory, 1 Featherfin Synodontis, 1 otto
29g - 14 harlequin rasboras, 5 albino corys, 3 ottos
10g - 1 glowlight tetra, 2 Black phantom tetras, 1 red betta on entertainment center
Post InfoPosted 31-May-2007 19:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
If you're attempting to breed the rams be very careful about tankmates. They like a higher temp (at least 82+) and are very sensitive to water quality.

Otos prefer company of their own kind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 01-Jun-2007 12:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies