SubscribeHow to make neons school?
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Hi,

I have 12 neon tetras with a paradish fish, 4 glass shrimps and a small CAE in a 28g planted. The paradise fish tried to chase the neons for some time but then gave it away. Now it never pays attention to any of the neons, neither do the neons. Since then, the neons have stopped schooling properly. In fact, the only time I see them together now is when I feed them.
I've read somewhere that these fish school only when there is some "Fear stimulus". It can be some quick fish giving them frequent chases or a potential predator. The paradise fish played the role initially but now it has become so docile that neons hardly notice it.
What should I introduce in the tank to make them school better? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Mughal
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 05:37Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
I think the answer to that is not to bother. In a 28 gallon with nothing to be scared of whats the point in close shoaling? They all remain in visual contact, theyre all happy, technically that is schoaling. What you percieve as a schoal is actually bait-balling behaviour. Its stress for them, so why force them to do it?

The balling and close schoalng were there for a reason, you had an imperfect aggression balance in the tank and so witnessed it. I dont think its fair to make them do it again purely for aesthetic purposes. Theyll do it from time to time when the urge takes them anyway. Wouldnt you rather they were completely relaxed?
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 05:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
Very well described...
Perfectly understood. Thanks for clearing my mind
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 06:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Oh, one of our discussions about the CAE(right LHG?) stated thet the CAE is not a good algae eater, and might be the worse aggression in the tank, sooner or later. As for the paradise, it probably attacked because of territory reasons. It stopped because of his defined territory. Ask LHG about how the paradise, although beautiful, is kinda thick skulled.......

Initially you said that theyre not schooling/shoaling anymore? Well maybe its the "fear stimulus", or it could be that theyre investigating the tank for now. How long did you have this happening? Are the tank's setup constantly changing? They are probably just chilling out for now.......

I think you could increase the number of neons if you really want this effect of schooling. Three more is probably the limit, depending on the shape(long or tall) or depending on the planting. Heavily stocked, you can add like <7 more(maybe). They might just start to school unexpectedly with out any help.

Also, can you describe the severity of the separation? If they are all trying to get away form each other, something can be wrong. If they are just crusing around and occasionally meeting and then separating, then it is probably-no-it IS normal

PS:The thick skulled buisness i was talking about is when my paradise chases and fights the reflection of itself. Weird fish...........

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 06:12Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
i have 6 neons in a 29 gal for a while they stayed together real tightly now they still stay grouped but not nearly as tight. they still tend to stay in the same general area ( the front left) that was until a few days ago when i noticed some complications

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 09:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
GobyFan2007,
I havent changed a single thing in the tank since I'v got them. Its been more than a month now. They are not completely separate, so the severity of separation may be defined as LOW but they just dont school the way I expected them to do... The only time I see them together is in the morning when the lights are turned on, or when they are fed(its more a mob than a school though ).
And as for the paradise fish, yeah its a bit dumb. But very very hardy! An opaline gourami beat the hell out of it and I put it in a hospital tank with not much hope of survival...but lo! its "up and running" again
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 12:10Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
hey mughal im experiencing very similar deal with my neons they all group when the lights come on. (this its the fear stimulus) but then after feeding the go about there own beuisness. over the last couple months i havent noticed any problems though.

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 25-Mar-2007 20:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
male pakistan
Yeah, same behavior here and not a problem observed either. I wont bother if they school or not as long as they look healthy!
Post InfoPosted 26-Mar-2007 06:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies