REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
EditedEdited by REDPHANTOM
Any thoughts or experience on telling between a Harold Shultz tetra and a Red Phantom tetra? At some LFS`s they are selling what I believe to be an H. haraldshultzi as members of the H.sweglesi. Basically the difference I noticed lies solely on the coloration but I wonder if there are more precise telltale signs to distinguish between them.

Would appreciate some feedback if you have any experience and knowledge on the matter.

Thanks,

James
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2007 20:51Profile PM Edit Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Checking the images on Fishbase, it would seem that Hyphessobrycon haraldschultzi exhibits white colouration on the anterior rays of the pelvic and anal fins that is absent in Hyphessobrycon sweglesi. Whether this is a reliable diagnostic characteristic remains to be seen, but so far it looks as if it may well be.

If you have access to geographical origin data for wild caught specimens, this will be the clincher. Because sweglesi is an inhabitant of the Orinoco basin, whilst haraldschultzi is an inhabitant of the Araguaia River basin - the two ranges do not apparently overlap. So if you can find out where the fishes (or their ancestral stock) came from, this should provide a reliable clue to identity.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2007 13:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Thank you Calilasseia, your posts are always very informative and scientifical. We can always rely on you to answer these questions.

Thanks so much,

James
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2007 05:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies