Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLighting for Neons?
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 12
male usa
I know that Neon Tetras need lower lighting levels to have their best colors so...
What would be the best wattage in a ten gallon tank for Neon tetras? I don't have any fish in my tank right now but the hood has an 18" F15T8, which I think is 15 watts. Is this too bright or just right? (rhyming points)
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 03:25Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i have never heard of this lighting predicament... i think it is a falacy. so in all honesty it depends on the type of plant you plan on keeping, so gag your wpg on that rather than on the neons color needs as with ots of helthy plants and a good diet will make their colors stand out, not just special lighting... plus plants allow for shading and for them to "contrast" and "glow more profoundly." so throw in some good plants and gage your lighting off their needs, not what ever soem one told you about the needs of neons for their "color." i may be wrong, but i am almost positive that this is just a way to get more money through more purchases... so good diet+good tank parametershealthy plant growth/coverage=more color+better fish activity

math always helps me out!
plus kudos for thesweet rhymes!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I've not heard about lower wattage as such, but the colour of the light makes a difference. The fish themselves don't change colour (well, if you blast them with incredibly strong lights they might bleach out a bit), it is more about what is visually pleasing for humans.

IME the plant tubes seem to work really well for bringing out the reds and blues.

I think your light will be fine for your neons. It might not be the best of the best for making the colours pop, but I can't see them bleaching out and looking dull either.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I know that Neon Tetras need lower lighting levels to have their best colors

OK I am always willing to learn where did that statement come from.

I have Cardinal Tetras and they are for more colourful than the plain Neon Tetras.
My lighting system for the 45lt tank twin 18ins 15W tubes on plant & one daylight.
The colours of the Cardinals is as good as I have seen at any LFS.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Well on the profile for Neon Tetras it says that it is good to have dim lighting, thats where I read it.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 06:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i had never heard of this and the profile could have been made ages ago when this could have been a theory for many... i think it is just a pointer maybe, but your lkight should be plenty dim for them. but i still stick by my statement that it depend more upon your plants than the fish themselves for the light, but also too much light can bleach them... (like above 3 wpg i would assume)... whatever you have should be fine and you could try finding the pinker tinted plant/aqurium blubs to help this

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 07:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
I lied, apparently they can physically change colour:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3503061

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 08:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Well I'm going to get some Danios to cycle the tank with so keep me posted on what to do with my light.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2008 15:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
white-worms
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
male uk
EditedEdited by white-worms
Personally, I think Tetras, just like discus look best under low light conditions

http://www.white-worms.com
Post InfoPosted 26-Jun-2008 02:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies