SubscribeMarble Hatchet Jumped...
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by General Hague
I have 2 Marble Hatchets, and apparently one jumped out of my tank from the very small opening of the tank cover. I discovered him late tonight dead on the floor. Just glad I found him before ants got to it.

Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 07:57Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
I'm sorry to hear that, General Hague.

Hatchets are hugely infamous for jumping. You have to cover basically the entire tank to make sure they don't get out.

Hatchets are sometimes referred to as the "freshwater flying fish". To an extent, they are actually the only true "flying fish on the planet. Researchers have found that while airborne, hatchets will actually "flap" their pectoral fins to gain extra distance on their leap (thanks to Calilasseia for that interesting tidbit!).

Joe Potato
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 09:35Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Yea they tend to do that. You need to cover any gaps with mesh. You can get stiff plastic mesh sheets at craft stores in the knitting/sewing aisle or a roll of screen door mesh from a hardware store and cut to fit.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 18:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
When I had marbled hatchets I had this happen too.
Its important to close up any holes at all so these fish cant fly out of the tank. I think they see air and go for it. Kamikaze Hatchets!
Also, Hatchetfish are schooling fish - if you plan on replacing the one you lost, replace him with 5 for a proper school

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 22:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
When I open the lid to feed I'm always greeted with a little splash on the face from the marbles trying to jump out of the water. They are beautiful fish and display really interesting behaviour and swimming patterns.

I do tend to see that my school of five has one left out, since they usually roam in pairs. Not sure if this has to do with the male/female ratio or something else but I wonder if 6 is a better shoal number for these fish?

All the best!

James
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2007 23:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
Dang, that's a big time bummer... That amazes me that those fish can jump like that, wow!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 03:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
I remember mentioning the jumping in a previous thread.

Thats me, prophetic .

Sorry for the loss though.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 04:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by General Hague
Unfortunately for now though, the 1 Marble Hatchet will be by its self until I get rid of the ick that was introduced by the Neon Tetras from Petco (should have spent more money at the LFS).

Once the ick is gone, I might possibly get 1 or 2 more Marble Hatchets or give away the current one I have. Haven't decided yet. I can't have too many due to the size of my tank.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2007 05:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
When you buy new fish, try to leave them in a seperate tank for a few days, so you can monitor them better.

I would add more Hatchets, when everything is back to normal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2007 15:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
EditedEdited by maddeningdream
I was thinking about getting hatchets myself their really pretty i have a 29 with 3 black skirt tetras,a blue gourami and a CAE.you guys said 6 is a good shoal do you think that the fish i have now would be suitable with the hatchets?

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2007 17:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Maddening dream, yep, hatchets would work with those fish. Id also recommend adding 3 more black skirt tetras.
Also - Consider what you plan to do with your CAE when it grows - these are large 8-11 inch fish that often become very aggressive and territorial at maturity. They also seem to lose the desire to eat algae and often turn on tankmates. Id nominate it for removal, return to the LFS in favor of a smaller, more peaceful, and an actual algae eater - like otocinclus cats (3-4 in your tank would do), a farlowella catfish (twig catfish) or a bristlenose pleco.

General Hague - Hatchets are schooling fish. 3 fish is not a school. If you dont plan to have 6 or more, youre better to return the one to the lfs.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2007 23:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
Thanks Sneaky,I'll Probably return the CAE,i think i was goin to go with some albino cory's or the bristlenose pleco i really like the pleco's beside's the CAE is already messing with the gourami and he's only 3 inches.

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2007 01:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies