L# Mottled Neons?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMottled Neons?
chips
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 1
canada
I was just at the LFS and saw a tank marked "Neons" but the colouration seems to have been reduced to just spots - no line. The effect was neat - like they just had multicolour patches.

Am I just seeing them this way because they were young? Or is this a new variant?
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 21:29Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
how big where the neons???? maybe they where sick.. would neon tetra desise
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 22:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
chips
Small Fry
canada
Young'uns I think - no bigger than 1" They were sprightly little beggars, just a funny colour pattern - no straight lines of colour.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2009 22:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
i think it might be NTD how was the colors? if they where bright idk wat it was.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 05:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
chips
Small Fry
canada
Very bright. It looked like standard neon colouring, only instead of lines, it was spotted.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 20:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
could they possibly hav ebeen dyed fish loosing there coloring?my friend had dyed tetras. not sure just my 2 cents.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 04:09Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The best way would be to contact the LFS and ask them about the Neons as if you were going to buy some and see what answer you get.
Even ask if you could take a few photos as well.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 09:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 18-Jan-2009 22:58
This post has been deleted
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I noticed this last night with my Cardinals
I was running a cleaning process on the computer with the light off this takes a while so I went to bed to watch TV
Now back to the cardinals when I turned the desk light on ( small 15w circular fluro tube) all the cardinals were mottled colour.

At the moment the tank lights are off and the desk light is on but they remain the true Cardinal colours.

This brings me to the conclusion from complete darkness to a non aquarium tank light they have a colour change.
I think you might notice at night their colours do change a litle.

Is it possible that the lights had just been turned on when this does happen in can take a few minutes to come to their full colour.
Also when I introduced the last lot of small cardinals they remained a mottled colour for about 12-18 hrs. This would/could be stress related

Any luck with the photos, or more info from the LFS?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 11:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 19-Jan-2009 20:05
This post has been deleted
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
my two neons got a bit stressed during transport and got a strange coloration although they colored up almost immediately after being put in a good tank. so maybe the tank or whatever just wasnt very good.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 01:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Some fish are easily stressed either by transporting, tank conditions and especially at LFS with people netting fish every now and then and tapping on the glass. These type off fish are always stressed when transported and relocated to a new tank.
I always add a measured amount of Melafix when I introduce fish for a few days.

Chips
Now you can see how easily it can happen. This is one reason I never buy any fish that has just arrived at the LFS they are often handled by people who just dont care or know how to relocate fish corectly.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 02:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
i think this is common with most fish, my buddy had an oscar who would always change a bit lighter when he did water changes.after a few hours when he didnt have to worry about the siphon, and the water temp., etc he changed back to his normal dark tiger oscar self.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:12Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
female canada
EditedEdited by itsjustme1966
I supervise at a LFS do ordering and recieving of all fish.
As there are many that dont know much about handling fish nor the basics of the fish keeping hobby, Im one of the few that do..keeping fish for 25 yrs + and even then we have fish that die!..as it stresses me to hear so many ppl saying this about lfs and the staff.."oh look theres a dead fish"..in that tank.. yah they no nothing!!..about keeping fish.. you all dont have fish die!..

your sooooo right Keith, transporting, tank condition, over stocking..thats a big one..! on average we are adding fish to 10-20gal tanks twice a week, so yah taking in the netting that goes on all day, everyday..

but.. heres one on the flip side of it all.. the "Customers"..the ones that come in, oh yah got hugh tank (10gal)..(scoop) or have never cycled before..fish lived for months..WOW great job you doing there..!!( scoop)..heres how it works.. they look at you like your speaking a different language..as you try to explain the nitro cycle..(scoop)or the best one of all..the ones that dont feel like they need any help!! ive had fish for yrs..(scoop) funny thing is they are the ones phoning 5 days later you sold me sick fish..no! was never their problem..

Ive always asked if they would like the water tested to see if there is something going on.."oh did that" thanks..but they tuned thier head back to the fish tanks when you mention NitrItes and cycling..lol
I honestly could make a killing in the fish business, but I dont..
You would hate having me to approach at a lfs..as I "Refuse" to sell alot of fish to ppl..being more the Angels, cichlids, gouramis..etc..plecos.. I always, always find the setup of the tank and go from there and if I feel the fish would not have much of a chance surviving in the customers tank you get no guarentee period..they always come back.. and most try to learn from our staff..
we amybe are a few and far between of stores that "know" what we are doing..and Im tired of the bashing that goes on..
as far as the neons go..if they are that small..and not much colour, stress. If its like that days later then its a bad batch.. Ive seen some funny looking fish come in the store..all twisted up, not much we can do but dispose of them.
if you think the LFS are bad you should see the fishery's....most of these fish are not tank breed..and heres something else they dont get fed there,, get that into yah..
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 10:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I've got a friend that has tiger barbs. At night when he turns his tank light off the fish go a little nuts and then they settle. Then when he turns of the room lights off, the fish go a little nuts and then they settle. Usually in the morning he says the coloring is "washed out" but after the tank "wakes up", every ones color comes back. Easy breezy. He says it also happens with water changes or new fish being added to the tank. Go figure.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 17:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies