SubscribeMy New Tetra (Wolf Fish) - Hoplerythrinus unitaeniatus
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Ok guys, so, i dont have him yet, but i thought i would warn you that i will be posting lots of photos of this quite rare 'Tetra'.
Eventually, hopefully, he will get to about 16 inches and command a 6x2x2 on his own. Hes at work right now, and is about 3 inches long. These are a very active wolf fish in comparison to the likes of Hoplias and Erythrinus, common name is the Gold Wol f Fish or black lined wolf fish. I will be bringing him home on saturday, so prepare for pictures!
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2009 17:50Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
EditedEdited 09-Aug-2009 01:34

Still in the bag. Does he look mean enough?

Hmmmmmmm....? Works on other sites, photo is definatly still there. Here is the direct URL...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/wolf_fish.jpg
Post InfoPosted 08-Aug-2009 18:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
The link didn't work either, photobucket seems to think you've moved the photo. I always use the second link option that photobucket gives.

Tried sending you a mail, is your box full?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 01:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
EditedEdited 09-Aug-2009 03:12
Sorry, yes it was full, have cleared it since, thanks.
One more go..

Different image, and now it wont recognize my URL tags. I dont think it likes me!
Well, thats an IMG link to a different image...think photobucket might be having a spasm!
Thanks
James
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 03:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Ive found the problem.
It seems when posting links or images they are coming out like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/Trappedmetal/wolf_fish.jpg

its the thats proving the problem. Check your browser when you click the clickable link.
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 03:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I still can't pull it up.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 05:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ive always like wolf fish and use to own a 18" black wolf awhile back............. i dont know much about the gold wolf but if the anything like the xingu black wolf they will rip up anything that trys to challnge it.......... cant wait to see picks of ur cool new fish............
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 22:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
EditedEdited 10-Aug-2009 00:41
Change the name of the album trappedmetal to something else. its putting an X in the link, because it contains the word meta
/Trappedme <x > tal/wolf_fish

oh, and empty your inbox

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 00:31Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
EditedEdited 10-Aug-2009 18:15
My inbox is empty! I even sent you a PM just then...
Ok, thanks to babel to finding the problem. Heres some photos.

Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 18:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
riri,
the black wolf is Hoplias sp. Black...totally different really, although they are related...they are actually quite rare are the blacks, so good find there.
Hoplerythrinus are a bit more aggressive than Hoplias - so ya, you know how that goes!
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 18:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Aww, he so cute. It's hard to believe how big and ferocious he'll become.

But it's a cutie, wootie. lil' thang now!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 18:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Curious, will it be "tanked" alone? Since it's more active then the "common" wolf fish, what can you tank with it? Can you tank anything with it?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 18:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Kelly,
Might look at some sort of larger catfish or eel to go with him, but realistically anything sausage shaped or smaller than him is definatly out of the question...
Size is being debated at the moment. Realistically i think its going to stay about 10 inches, thats the largest anyone has ever seen.
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 20:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
heh he is pretty cute right now!

similar markings to flying fox and SAE, I wonder if anyone managed to get one by mistake, probably not based on behavior, but some CFS can be really bad for keeping their fish right. Granted I woudn't think a chain would be carrying such fish.

That green spot on the gill keeps making me think he's got a little leaf stuck on him

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 23:52Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
yea for some reason blacks are a lot more common where i am cuz a store by me has 2 18" ones for sale for $800 each and if i had a 300 gallon tank to devote to one.......
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 23:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Flying fox come from asia, and these from south america, but yeah - i see what you mean!
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2009 00:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 11-Aug-2009 05:06
What's the growth rate? If it grows as fast as an Oscar, can you find a cat to match? Any predator cats will try to eat him first. I don't envy your new trials and possible error on matching up a tank mate.

What size tank do you have for the cute lil' man eater and his possible new accomplice...err tankmate?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2009 04:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
He's all alone in his 70 gallon or so (poss 75? 4x2x2). Predatory cats dont all come in as adults, so if i can pick a juvie up i'll be fine/ Growth rate is undetermined. Not much (if any) information online about these guys really..There are a few nice Horabagrus brachysoma in at work, dont think the girlfriend is too keen though.
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2009 17:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
stick fuzzy bunny ears on them she'll be fine then

^_^

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2009 00:06Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Just found this.

Erythrinids are hardcore predators with an attitude to match the evil grimace. Which means that usually, these fishes are kept in a species aquarium, because they try to eat anything else in the same aquarium that's moving. At 3 inches, this fish might be compatible with a larger catfish (and if you're going to run such an experiment, pick a heavily armoured Doradid catfish covered in its own natural razor wire to deter attacks), but once it starts piling on body mass, even that experiment is one you should conduct with your eyes fully open, and be prepared for the Wolf Fish to have a go at eating the catfish. Ideally, any fish that's going to live with the Wolf Fish long term should be larger than the Wolf Fish, and similarly tough. By the time your Wolf Fish has hit 10 inches, you'd be looking at popping a 14 inch plus Megalodoras irwini into the aquarium, as the only catfish that could live with this beast. Even then, I wouldn't put it past the Wolf Fish trying its luck.

Also, once this fish puts on body mass, watch your fingers. A decent sized Erythrinid is capable of amputating your fingers if you're not careful during maintenance, the extreme case being the brutal Hoplias lacerdae, which at full adult size can take your arm off at the elbow. Never underestimate the damage those teeth can inflict - even at the size it is now, it has a powerful bite, and once it's around 10 inches, it'll have jaws like a car crusher.

To give you an idea what to look forward to, if you've seen that episode of the BBC TV series Walking With Dinosaurs, featuring the giant Liopleurodon Pliosaur in action, your Wolf Fish is going to be like that in miniature. It will cruise around the aquarium looking menacing, and that display will not be purely for show. Plus, I suspect that any attempt to wean it onto dead foods is likely to prove futile, which means you're looking at providing it with live fish to eat for the next decade or so. It makes Belonesox belizanus, the Pike Livebearer, look tame by comparison.

If by some chance you do succeed in persuading it to take dead foods, take my advice and obtain a good, strong pair of tongs for feeding. Do not even think of trying to hand-feed this fish, unless you want it to eat bits of your hand along with the actual food. Bear in mind that some of its relatives are capable of eating Piranhas in the wild, which should tell you everything you need to know about its propensity for mayhem. And, if you do ever succeed in persuading it to take dead foods, preferably administered at the long end of a pair of good quality stainless steel tongs, when it's an adult, you'll probably wind up feeding it bits of fresh salmon from the fishmonger's, or even the odd butcher's cut of meat.

Wow, you've taken on a serious aquarium terrorist in the form of that fish.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2009 00:07Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies