Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNeons/ Glowlights
thebroadwayninja
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
male usa
I have a new 10g tank. I was thinking of putting in glwolights and neons. do they mix well. and how many can i put in the tank
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2006 22:29Profile PM Edit Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
The mix very well -- they're both totally peaceful -- but I would not put more than 4 or 5 of each type in such a small tank. (Especially since I also urgently recommend a couple of bottom-feeders -- catfish or loaches -- in the tank to eat all the food that settles to the bottom fast, so that your other fish won't give themselves bacterial infections by nibbling at it after it's started to decay. I've found out the hard way that this is one of the greatest causes of fish death -- even when your water itself checks out completely clean -- and I'm not the only one who's now recognized this fact.)

Also, I might suggest getting Cardinals instead of Neons, despite their somewhat higher cost. Store-bought Neons seem very e nowadays to carrying Neon Tetra Disease, which is the most diabolical fish disease I know of -- it attacks a lot of fish besides Neons, including many non-tetras (Glowlights get it easily); by the time the fish shows any symptoms at all it's already incurable; and it's extremely difficult to remove from your tank as a whole. This is apparently because most Neons are now collectively raised on fish farms where they can very easily spread the infection to each other, while Cardinals are still wild-caught and so carry it far more rarely. Except for those cautions, I see no trouble at all in your combination.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 04:52Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
I'd stick to one species and increase the shoal size of that species. The fishes will be happier that way.

In a 10, given Bruce's caveat about providing some bottom feeders (which as he stated provide major health benefits in the aquarium), you would be looking at something like 8 Neons plus a Kuhlii Loach as your target stocking. Even then, you would have to pay attention to water changes on a regular basis and perform regular gravel vacs.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2007 18:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I agree with Calilassesia. I think that the higher number the school is the more comfortable the fish will be. I think that if you are looking for a bottom feeder you could try some ottos ^_^ they might look good in that set up.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2007 02:47Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
An alternative if you can find it is the Ember Tetra, Hyphessobrycon amandae. It's TINY - smaller than a Neon - and you'd be able to have a shoal of 10 and STILL have room for some bottom feeders. Also, once these guys are colour fed, they become little jewels. Recommended.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2007 00:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies