SubscribeOoh, Purdy :)
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 30
Votes: 0
female usa
EditedEdited by Gilraen Took
Would a school of flame tetras be okay in a 20 gallon tank? I think I like those. The tank is in a sorta quiet location, only movement near it is when I walk past(on the wall next to my restroom) which isn't too often, especially compared to a store tank. I've heard that they are hardy and easygoing, any practical experiences here?

Or embers. I'm thinking about asking my local store if they can get those in. . .

[url=http://dragcave.ath.cx/viewdragon/bNFR][/url]
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2007 18:48Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
Yeah , flame tetras would be a sensible choice, theyre fairly hardy ,reasonably disease resistant, appreciate average values, smallish, and shoal numbers are easily do-able in a 20. They do like their cover though, but once acclimated spend most of the time in plain view, had a shoal myself for years. They get on quite well with other fish, and they are pretty. I would say though that they do need the shoal, even if they spread out once in an aquarium, so go for at least 8 if youre going to. A lot of the time they dont hang about in close shoals, but if the other fish arent there to give them that feeling of security, then they tend not to do so well.

The only downside they have really is that they can be e to overeating, so avoid putting them in with slow feeders, aside from that, a great little fish.

So the secret to them is light feeding and reasonable numbers. Easy peasy.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2007 21:35Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
Alrightey then. The 20 WAS going to be a cardinal tank, but I'm shying away from them since they've never done well in my community tanks. Then I thought about white clouds(have some in there now for activity) but have heard they don't like to be in 80 degree water permanently, so I figured I'd look at other tetras again. They'll probably be the only fish in there. Does anyone know if they'll eat shrimp? I was going to house some of those with the cardinals, but was steered towards catfish. But now I am leaning towards shrimp again(even if only ghosties, been wanting some more of those lately. . .)

Edit: oh, also likely a couple of ottos later down the road.

Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2007 04:59Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
As long as the ghost shrimp or amano shrimp that go in are of a reasonable size ie, more than a third grown, flame tetras wont touch them, mine lived with amanos no probs.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2007 06:15Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilraen Took
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
I got a small school today. 6 of them to be exact. I'm going to watch the parameters closely for a while. The 6 I got are around 3/4" each for now. So cute! So now, how many should be in there? Just stick with the 6 I have, or should I get a couple more for a bigger school?

As I said, they're likely to be the only fish other than ottos possibly.

Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2007 07:33Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
You could bump it up to 8 , it shouldnt cause any probs. They are a pretty small fish, that should still leave enough room for ottos.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jul-2007 07:53Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies