L# Panda Tetra?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePanda Tetra?
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
Votes: 0
male usa
Saw these at my LFS and they are very cool looking. Didn't find much info on the web about them only that they are also called Three Spot Paraguay Tetra. Does anyone have any experience with them? Here's a pic i found:

http://www.ekkwill.com/pandatetra.html
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2007 20:58Profile PM Edit Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Well, i just read on here that they need a large tank. My 15 gallon would be too small since it says they are very active. Oh well...
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2007 21:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
EditedEdited by sirbooks
I'm not so sure. I've seen a couple of groups before, and they just seemed to hang around in the water column like many tetras tend to do. This was in store tanks though, which means that the fish may not have been displaying their normal behavior. Honestly, I think you could go with a nice school in a fifteen gallon. Just don't overdo it with the total fish load.

EDIT: If they're anything like their fellow genus members (x-ray and green fire tetras) then they aren't really that active. Not like Congo or Buenos Aires tetras.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2007 06:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brian1216
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Sirbooks- right now i have 6 Serpaes, 3 Otos, 2 Amano Shrimp and 3 Brilliant Rasboras in my 15. Would i have room for Pandas? Or anything else for that matter?
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2007 07:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
Another school of fish would be too many. If anything, pop a few more shrimp or ottos in the tank. Other than that, it looks like you're pretty well stocked.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2007 04:24Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Aren't brilliant rasboras a rather large schooling fish? Most sites say 3.5" and schooling fish do best in a group of 6+. Not a very good 15g fish. A proper tank for them would be more like 55g. Personally I'd trade them out for a school of the panda tetras unless your too attached. I definitely wouldn't add another group of fish with the current stock. Shrimp are fine to add since they don't really take up a noticeable amount of space or add much to the bioload.
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2007 05:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
male usa
They turn up fairly often in the California stores (usually under the name "Paraguayensis tetra", but I've never bought any. All I can say is that those in the stores are at least durable enough that they live for a long time in the tanks there (they're so relatively plain that apparently few other people buy them either).
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2007 09:48Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies