Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePredator tetras
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Found out the hard way that even small tetras can be predators. I went to the pet store for fish food. I found a few pest/pond snails there. I asked the guy to bag them up for me. No problem. Then on a whim asked for a half dozen ghost shrimp. He put them all in the same bag. When I got home, I realized I couldn't just reach in and pick out the snails. Sooo.... everybody had to go into the tank. I'll be doggone if Bulldozer (Angel) didn't pick off 2-3 in the first 5 minutes. I thought they have a chance if they get under/into the plant roots. I had more errands to run, so off I went. I came home to see I had 3 left. WoW! Make a cup of tea, look back in the tank... The emperor tetra has the largest of the 3 shrimp by the head and is happily munching away. My jaw dropped. It then discarded the body and hunted out one more, eating only the head! Now I know I can't even trust smaller fish to play nice.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2009 02:20Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I put a pinch of chunk crab in the tank. Man did the fish go nuts!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 02:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Kelly,
I found the same thing when I decided I wanted to put
some cherry shrimp in my tank. I did it twice before I
finally found the culprets... My Black Skirt tetras.
I caught one with part of a shrimp sticking out of its
mouth. That was an expensive dinner.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2010 06:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Yep,

I lost a dozen ghost shrimp the same way.... I think it was to black skirts like Frank, least they were cheaper than cherries !

^_^

Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2010 23:39Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
Maybe I should get some Ghost shrimp as a snack for my Neons. I used to feed some to my Bala as a snack when I had him.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
I've just made a mistake in the same category.

I bought a couple of Neocaridina heteropoda shrimps for the Panda Fun Palace (which is slowly being restocked after a wipeout during a period of illness), and lo and behold, 48 hours later, one of them is lying on the bottom, as dead as the Norwegian Blue from the Monty Python parrot sketch. The only other occupants of that tank at the moment are 11 Cardinal Tetras, 5 of which are smaller than the now-dead shrimp. I have a funny feeling I won't be putting any more shrimp in that tank.

It just goes to show that even us old hands can be caught out. I thought that the Cardinals wouldn't pose a problem, especially as they're kept well fed, but lo and behold, it appears they decided overnight to beat up my shrimps.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2012 09:10Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Double post.

Oh, and what's more, since the aquarium in question is a veritable underwater jungle of plants, including masses of Java Moss and Java Ferns growing on bogwood, I thought that even if the fish got frisky, the shrimps would be safe and have hiding places to spare to keep them away from the Cardinals. Nope, wrong.

If I put any more shrimps in that tank, I'm going to have to choose something too big for the Cardinals to treat as a punchbag.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2012 09:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies