SubscribeRed Phantom and Lemon schools
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
Hi all
Just an observation I would like to share. I have approx 10 of each red phantom and lemon tetras in a 5ft comm tank. Its fairly well planted with driftwood and rocks n plants. Also swimming at will are two Angels some kribs and various loach's. I have noticed two things.

A)While my lemon tetras school most of the time my red phantoms hardly school at all. They "hang" very loosly together if at all. If anything id say they hang around in groups of 2-3 but even that is stretching the word grouping. They have been like this from day one (approx 1.5 months ago).
Interesting because I thought they would school with themselves or even with the other tetras (lemons).

B)With the temperature up around 29 (lemon max) the lemons dont or stopped schooling. Return it back to 26 and they are back to normal schooling behaviour.

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 04:14Profile PM Edit Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
Votes: 0
male usa
In my experience Red Phantoms are among the timidest of tetras (along with Glowlights); they have a tendency to hide behind plants if they feel outnumbered by other fish. (The books also keep saying that -- like Neons -- they prefer temperatures a bit lower than your usual tropical: around 72 F or 22 C, although mine have seemed to stand up quite nicely to regular Tropical temperatures. Indeed, they seem to me to be fairly durable fish despite their timid tendencies,)
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2008 11:05Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
bratyboy2
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 340
Votes: 1
male usa
i would say maybe increase the shool some more or even get black phantoms that might help they look the same or even the white fin tetras
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2008 04:50Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies