Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeRummy's seen better days....
Alb
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
Votes: 0
canada
Had 4 rummynose tetras, added 4 more a couple days ago(total 8).
(It's a 65 gal community tank with no signs of fish squabling.)
The new additions have been laying low hiding and acclimating.
One has decided to come out and to my surprise with most of it's tail missing! Only it's tail fin, all other fins A.O.K
It struggles to stay with the others, doesn't swim very well but it's color looks good.

My question(s)......
Seeing how all my other fish are well, should I be worried and remove the tail missing rummy?
Will it's tail grow back?
Might it be ill?
Thoughts?

THX
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 21:03Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
It could have been injured before you got it. Provided the tail doesn't look infected or fuzzy along the edges and the fish is acting pretty much normal then it should be fine. It will usually grow back but if it starts to look like it might have bacterial or fungus growth it would be best to treat it with at least something like melafix. Remove it to a hospital tank before treating even with melafix or pimafix if you have any inverts and definitely move it if your treating with anything stronger. It would have been best to quarantine the new fish in a small tank for at least a few days, preferably a few weeks, before putting them in the main tank. If they are carrying any illnesses it could wipe out your entire school before you manage to treat them.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 21:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
male usa
The fact that its facial color is still bright is encouraging -- this is a really good indicator of whether Rummies are actually feeling good, and it indicates that the tail loss is indeed due to an injury rather than an illness.
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2007 22:54Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Alb
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
canada
Thank you both.
A hospital tank is in the works.
A neat thing with the rummy's color being a tank health indicator. Very useful!

cheers
Post InfoPosted 24-Mar-2007 18:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies