L# Schooling Tetra
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSchooling Tetra
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
i am currently thinking about adding a few tetra to a tank and want a tight school- like rummynose tetra, i was just wandering what other tetra school so closely (as oppose to a loose shoal like neons)?
Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2007 07:17Profile PM Edit Report 
PappaBear
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
I only have experience with Lemon tetra's and cardinals. As I see it, it depends greatly on the amount of fish you have (12 are more likely to school than 6), and more important, with which fish you keep them.

My cardinals school closely, but I have Harlequin Rasboras as well, which is a much bolder fish, which I think influence the cardinals.

If your tetras have the tank to themselves, I think they will in general school more loosely than if kept with other fish.

Keep me posted!
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 08:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I increased my Cardinal school from 6-14 in the Betta tank and now they school perfectly on making a few inquiries I discovered the bigger the school the tighter it gets and the more schooling behaviour they become. Saying that this "could" be the case with most if not all Tetras.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 11:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PappaBear
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
I believe tetras school more closely depending of the other fish present.

My cardinals school very close, but my other fish is very robust. Also, the quantity of fish also influenses their schooling behaviour.

good luck!

J
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 13:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fandan
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male australia
okey thanks for that- my only experience is with neons and black widows. i had six black widows who would infrequently school- usually if i was about to feed them. then i had around 20 neons who would school some times. they saherd a tank with 3 rams and a coupleof plecos. however due to disease in the tank i removed the rams and widows (who seemed more effected then the others) too a quarantine tank with less space and more current. unfortunatly i lost 3 widows and the 3 remaining dont school (well one tries but the other two keep themselves to themselves!) and the 20+ neons school almost all the time (though they more maintain a large random group as opppose to all moving as in unison if you know what i mean).

so anyway im keeping the neons and widows in their own tank and have added a coupleof small angels and an extra ram to the larger tank. this is whey i would like to add a school of tetra to liven the higher levels of the tank.

thanks for the comments- the info is much appreciated, will let you know what happens!
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 16:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I think that Rummy's are the best schoolers. I have some & they school together nearly all the time, without any other big fish in the tank. With them i have 2 Black Widows & a Lemon Tetra. Plus 1 Oto & 6 Amano Shrimps.

Planning to add more tetras in the near future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 23:30Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
Votes: 14
male usa
I used to have a tank with 10 Sarpae's. They were not the best schoolers for sure, more like tiger barbs due to their aggresiveness with each other. Though it helped when my pictus cat came out to feed!
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2007 22:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
BruceMoomaw
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 490
male usa
Yes, Serpaes are mean little bastards. A pity, since they're both beautiful and tough. (By the way, you leave it unclear whether the Pictus mugged them or vice versa.)
Post InfoPosted 11-Oct-2007 07:53Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Hi,

If you want to add to your higher level in the tank consider Marble Hatchets.

They stay on the top and are great schoolers, staying in very tight formation most of the time, almost resembling a Blue Angels Airshow but under water.

Good luck
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2007 19:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clippers1996
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 10
Votes: 14
male usa
EditedEdited by clippers1996
BruceMoomaw,
My pictus never mugged anyone I swear! He really only had a taste for Danios. The Serpaes survived for years, I ended up giving them away when I moved. Though my Pictus hid more than any I've seen since, I think they harassed him.
Post InfoPosted 13-Oct-2007 05:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies