AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Off Topic
 L# The Recovery Room
  L# Weirdest things that kept you awake?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWeirdest things that kept you awake?
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Radio was having a phone in. Thought it would be good to ask. What is the weirdest thing that has kept you awake?

Here's mine.
Set the scene: I live in a block of units (apartments).You have to appreciate how many concrete surfaces there are in side-by-side apartment complexes to bounce metal-on-metal clanging.

Scenario: Midnight. Car repair session. Under my window.

Offender: Neighbour wearing miners lamp hard hat.

I hope it never happens again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 00:28Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Errr *twitches* I *twitch* don't really *twitch twitch* want to *twitch* talk about it

*gibbers*

Set the scene "quiet town of yesteryear" Houses surrounded by tall gum trees. Inside we see a wife who cannot sleep because her husband is kept awake by someone a street over who thinks 3am on a weekday is a perfect time to crank their surround sound system up loud and watch any given movie with excessive explosions. Or have a dog that likes to bark. Or have a party till 4am.

*resumes gibbering*

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 00:33Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
it is 12am. the streets are quite and the houses serene with sleeping occupants. 12:30am on of the ocupants of a house arrises for a midnight glass of water and is startled as he walks up the stairs back to bed. the starlig came from a loud drag racing engine sound outside. It sounded like the car was out the window and demon possesed and soon to enter the home and attack. he pinches himself and tries to "wake up." the sad thing is he is awake, but in a dillusional state of mind... he crawls back into bad and curls up ont he corner... afraid. he lies awake awaiting the attack and soon drifts asleep and dreams of many attack scenarios. at the end of a scenario he jolts awake when another of the lound roaring engines sounds is heard. he looks out the window and three teenagers were racing up and down the street. he calls the police and they quickly come out to investigate. the offenders had vanished. after about an hour (around 4am) they begin to reinact the previous idiocracy and the occupant is forced to lie awake the rest of the night (not like there was much left)...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 04:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
female australia
EditedEdited by wish-ga
A theme is emerging.
Wonder what kept people awake before the industrial age?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 06:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
Crickets, of course, kept people awake before the industrial age. Either that, or screaming children...

I live in the basement, so there isn't much noise down here. Um, I guess the weirdest thing (as in what most people would think is weird) that has kept me awake would be random aquarium inhabitants fighting and moving things...
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 06:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited by superlion
The other night I kept waking up when the power went out and the filters on my two aquaria in my room stopped.

My job (ha!) I believe a couple of other members have/have had night jobs and are with me on this one. (although sometimes being at work didn't stop me catnapping occasionally when it got to 4 am and nobody was around)

Oh and of course there's the times I've laid awake because I was afraid of my roommate or roommate's guest (three of the seven I had through college gave me this feeling at some point...)

><>
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 07:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
Theres a neighborhood cat that keeps going under my house on its patrols. The stinkin thing could go under my house at the front but it chooses to go through the back where the dog is. Im sure it does it just to stir my dog up. So yeah my dog wakes me up because of this cat.

Is it illegal to trap it do you think? Im not sure what I would do with it once I caught it anyway.
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 07:39Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
screaming kids , someone had to mention screaming kids

*twitch twitch* ... ...*cough* ok, better now...

I have a feeling that before the industrial age most people slept fairly soundly. No noise pollution from roads or people, no light pollution except from the moon. In fact, I bet they were actually able to see these stars people keep talking about. They were tired from a hard days labor, and didnt have the millions of things we bother ourselves with worrying about.

Troy, cats don't like vinegar you could try spraying some around and see if that stops the cat from coming around. Its 'supposedly' a herbicide though, so don't do too much in one spot. Of course my cat hates deconrub (sp) that muscle ache rub, she wouldn't come near me till I had a shower and change and even then she didnt stay around like she normally does. It wouldnt be too practical to smear that around your house though!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 08:13Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Construction work, and for a while before I realized that Clown Loahces were "talkers" I would be woken up in the middle of the night to these Loud "Clicks" The first few times I heard it I thought Something was going big time wrong with my tanks.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 17:38Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
rjmcbean
----------
Hobbyist
Like a Farmer
Kudos: 75
Votes: 415
female usa
i have been awake with a cloudy head... too many thought all at the same time. . . or restless Leg... i don't know anyone who hasn't had that problem once in a while though.

"it's the neck, it creaks under the weight of too much heavy thinking."
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 18:06Profile AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Pistol Shrimp clicking at fish and a Skunk that chases my Ferret around as soon as the lights go off.
Post InfoPosted 22-Apr-2008 22:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
Nobody was expecting that response Mez.

Only you could have made it though.

ps babel

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the vinegar trick later on. And since its a herbicide I might put it to work on an overgrown privet hanging over our fence.
Post InfoPosted 23-Apr-2008 03:46Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mani
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 37
Votes: 0
male uk
that wierd song that keeps repeating in ur head

and u just sing to it then think shut up let me go to sleep!
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 04:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Northern Mockingbirds. They sing 24 hours a day as close to your window as possible.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 09:08Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
A willy wagtail that sang at 3:40am every morning. once, when I did manage to sleep, I was woken my sleep-deprived mother trying to silence it by walking under the tree in the middle of summer and turning the hose in the general direction of the noise. I'm not quite sure what came over her, but it was that sort of noise.

Currently, the mice in the roof are a bit scrabbly, there is paint in various rooms and two spare people wandering around the house. That isn't helping much.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 15:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
gun fights at the after hours club hidden in the back of a grocery store on the other side of a 10ft wall near my old apartment. oh, btw, I lived on the 2nd floor

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 20:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
female australia
Monkeyboy, your neighbourhood has urban chic in truckloads. Far more interesting than the slamming doors in my area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2008 06:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
funny thing was it was in a lower upper class neighbor hood. the club was packed with young suburban wanna be white kids

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 01-Aug-2008 21:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
When I was a little tacker and up to 25yld I lived in an industrial are a opposite an large ice works and when the big noisy machine switched of I would wake up because of the quietness.
As I got older and worked with a lot of wood working machinery that noise started to send me deaf it also caused "Tinnitus" that is 24x7 permanent ringing in the ears.
Now when it is perfectly quiet I hear the ringing a lot louder, it can also become louder by certain foods, coffee and chocolate ever the weather pressure changes.

So what keeps me awake just the noises in my head at the moment it is totally incurable. Some people use a white noise as a blocker and they say that works.

So if you like loud music and your ears start ringing this is exactly what will happen to you. Apparently it is happening to young people who use the ear plugs to hear music already

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Aug-2008 03:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies