SubscribeYet another trend
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
OK, I was out grocery shopping at my local huge chain that has it all. and when I went threw the pet section as usual looking at what they offer. I found this and had to share and I was wondering how many fools had already purchased this thing.

New Tiny Tank

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2008 23:35Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
C'mon, it has a bubble action air diffuser. How awesome is that?
Post InfoPosted 30-Aug-2008 23:46Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
"I was wondering how many fools had already purchased this thing"

That is something you DONT want to know.

There is a complicated equation, I think it somehow involves the square root of the number of people that believe the moon landing was a hoax, times the number of people that think that it's mcD's fault that they are fat, to the power of the number of adults that believe in santa clause, rounded up by the percentage of people that have disavowed a belief in global warming. Of course I've never been good at math or remembering equations, so I'm sure I'm wrong.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 00:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Having done a lot of design and Industrial design with so called experts nothing surprises me with what they come up with. Its just a reinvention of a old very gimmick that is still around.

They are the ones who want there so called brains tested that is if they can find the commonsense button first

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 04:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
Ooh! Lavalamp fish tank! I'll take two!
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 09:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
poisonwaffle

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 591
male usa
One of my cousins actually used to have one of those... he had a goldfish in it... I tried to explain the works of proper fish keeping, but, of course, he wouldn't listen. The fish lasted about two weeks, and the 'tank' has been sitting empty in their basement ever since. T'was a great investment, 'eh?
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 11:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
Actualy, one good use for something like this, would be at an adult only, with no open bar wedding reception. But then of course with some planning ahead of what to do with the fish afterwards.

I've been to receptions with fish in bowls and drinking allowed, all I say is poor fishy

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2008 15:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
how come people can get away with selling these things? Its obviously inhumane to animals.
Post InfoPosted 01-Sep-2008 00:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
capitalism at its finest, make a profit at the expense/demise of someone/something else, regardless the negative impact on the victims .
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 06:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
OK, it isn't great and we can all agree that a 10G with heating and filtration and a few live plants would be much much better, BUT for the people that would otherwise purchase some other weird completely unsuitable setup and chew through bettas like Kleenex, this isn't as deathtrappy as most. Not great, but it certainly isn't the worst on the market by a long shot.

It says 16L (looks smaller? is that maybe 6?) but either way is quite large for this class of setup.

It has floor lighting which, while it would confuse the crap out of the fish, should bump the temperature of the water.

It has some sort of substrate. Granted it is glass pebbles, but it is better than nothing and that size in particular lets waste fall between to keep the fish away from solids when they rest on the bottom (no substrate = ammonia burn on fins).

It has an airstone, which is probably too strong for a betta, but still is something that a lot of setups like this don't have.

Seriously, if you whacked in some slightly finer dark substrate to block the light and you tinkered with the 'diffuser' to attach a basic air driven filter, I don't see why this is such a dreadful product considering some on the genuinely crap stuff you can get for housing bettas. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is at least on the way to something that I could feel comfortable supporting.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2008 07:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
True calla, plus they at least picture it with a betta in the image we see. Not the standard 10 goldfish and angelfish that you usually see photographed in tanks no matter what size they are!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2008 00:12Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
tbh looking at it you would be better of keeping them in your standard pint glass...looks like it would have a lot more surface area.
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2008 00:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Calla, I think it says 1.6 L...

><>
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2008 04:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
*cringe* you are right, I just googled up a clearer image.

Well, scrap all my waffle then.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2008 07:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
scrap all my waffle then.

Wait, what?
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2008 13:15Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies