L# DIY decorations safe for aquarium
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDIY decorations safe for aquarium
SkittyKat
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
female usa us-newyork
I was wondering what type of materials I would need to make my own decor. What type of paint would be safe.
I want to make the picture shown. Any input would be appreciated thanks

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 17-May-2012 03:41Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
If anything I'd try making it out of plastic, if you have access to a 3D printer that'd be the easiest.

I've been racking my brain trying to think the best type of paint all morning. I want to say acrylic but I don't think that's right. I also seem to remember something about using aquarium grade silicone to coat decor (or make sure small rocks aren't moving when you make your own caves), but it's been awhile since I've made my own decor .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2012 02:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Tricky. I suppose the simplest way would be to treat it like a textured background. I believe you can use latex paint or water-based paint and then seal it thoroughly with pour-on resin (less important with latex, vital with acrylic). I will hunt down some tutorials and brands for you :-)

What are you planning on making it out of?

Another option would be to make it from ceramic or white earthenware clay and use food-safe glazes for the colour. That would be the safest option but would require access to a potter's shed or local art school to be able to get the materials and kiln. There are plenty around though, might be worth looking into.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-May-2012 03:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Here's a thought - would polymer clay be safe for fish (after being fired, of course)?

><>
Post InfoPosted 22-May-2012 00:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
They generally say 'not food safe" so in large quantities I'd be wary, but I think in small quantities in enough water, with regular water changes and fish with shorter lifespans (just to be extra safe in case of long term exposure issues) you should be OK. Would need to be smaller non-chewy fish though, probably not the best to have them chomping on the stuff.

Resin-coating it would be safer still, and probably what I'd go for myself. I hear good things about ICE resin staying clear over time, so it might hold up better under exposure to aquarium lighting.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 23-May-2012 17:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies