AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Aquascaping
  L# Eco complete and tahitian moon sand?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeEco complete and tahitian moon sand?
MWC
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 6
male us-southcarolina
We are about to set up a 55 gallon aquarium. I've used eccomplete with great success in a 37 gallon aquarium. I wondered if anyone knew if I could used ecocomplete with Tahitian moon sand over the top so my corys would have some good places to dig. The problem as I see it is that the sand would go to the bottom over time since it is finer and the ecocomplete would be on top anyway. Is ecocomplete safe for corys? In the 37 galon tank I had before, the corys were fine, but someone said it would be too sharp for corys. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2011 19:07Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 24-Jul-2011 06:18
I've never actually heard of anyone having a problem with ecocomplete and corys before. . I'm pretty sure corys are good with most aquarium substrates. A bigger concern is substrates that are not meant for aquarium use, or as in the case of one I found packaged up from who knows how long ago, clearly not meant for real aquarium use (it was crushed glass, and that's it. No polishing, no smoothing, bits of crushed glass sold as aquarium substrate !).

You are right that the sand will mix with the ecocomplete over time, faster considering the corys would be digging around in it. I tried doing a mixed sand and gravel mix in one of my tanks, didn't succeed at all and actually did some pretty bad damage to the impeller of the filter (even with the intake covered with mesh). I've never used Tahitian moon, I was using playsand in the tank, so if the grains are larger it may not cause as much damage.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2011 06:14Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies