AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Aquascaping
  L# Inexpensive and plant friendly?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeInexpensive and plant friendly?
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
Just got a 'new to me' 55 gallon (see posting in general freshwater if you're interested) and need to decide on a substrate. So... the crux of the matter is, where do I get 100 pounds of plant-friendly substrate that won't be a bear to clean, for relatively cheap?

I've done flourite and hated it, way too messy for this cat. I'm pondering a laterite base to fine gravel, but I'm thinking I might have the same issue. I don't want a tank that clouds up every time I try to gravel vac.

I've pondered a dirt or specifically water-garden type soil substrate but well, dirt and water make mud... and how do you clean that?

I might wind up just getting the same type of fine gravel that I've gotten in the past for my betta tanks... works nicely in the smaller sized tanks, but as I generally find it in only 5lb bags, I'd be getting 20 of them. *rolls eyes*

I ran over to Lowes' on the way home the other day (home improvement store for those of you who aren't familiar) and braved the negative degree temperatures to peruse their selection of gravel (outdoors, of course). Not much choice, really. Everything was much too large-grained. I really did like the look of the "river pebbles" but at 1/4"-1/2" or so in size, it doesn't work for my purposes.

Most of my plants at this time are various crypts, java ferns and anubias, and I don't have the resources to procure much else at the moment. The lighting situation (single strip light) doesn't much work for anything much more than that, anyway.

I know the laterite/gravel layering would probably be the most expensive option. What are thoughts on practicality, expense and feasability for the options I've mentioned? And if you have other ideas, feel free to suggest!

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2007 03:35Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
I just use small rounded walmart brand aquarium
gravel here.
I make it plant friendly with the addition
of Jobes plant spikes for lush palms and houseplants.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2007 03:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
"Specifically water-garden type soil substrate"

Yup that's actually what you want. Shultz's Aquatic Plant Soil.
I have a feeling it's similar to florite, but it didn't seem any harder to rinse preplacement than regular gravel. What I'd suggest if you don't go for the red color, is to mix it with some regular aquarium gravel. If it's for a heavily or even just a planted tank, it'd be more direct to use root tabs to supplement the plants.

As for price, it's a little more than regular aquarium gravel, but not nearly as costly as the plant substrates like florite laterite, and if mixed with the less costly gravel (I topped mine off with the pea gravel from home depot) it shouldnt place too much of a strain on the budget.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2007 07:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies