Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFeeding corys vegetables
CoryAddict
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 231
Votes: 6
male usa
Currently, my habrosus and pygmies get a varied diet consisting of frozen bloodworms, algae wafers, Hikari sinking pellets, and New Life Spectrum/Hikari micro wafers. however, since I want to spoil them silly I would like to start feeding them vegetables. I have read that they like cucumbers and peas. Anyone ever have experience feeding their corys vegetables? What kind and how do you prepare them?
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2011 01:42Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Mine used to go after the peas I fed the rest of the tank, once I saw how much they enjoyed them I started adding a few more.

I've heard of blanched zucchini as well but I always end up eating all of mine .

I'd be a little concerned over cucumber, but I'm sure so long as it's not left for more than a few hours (with any remaining cuc going into the compost bin) it shouldn't disintegrate in the water too much. I think peas might be the easiest long term since you can just keep a bag in the freezer and the corys do seem able to get all the little bits left over from out of the substrate.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2011 21:50Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
CoryAddict
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 231
Votes: 6
male usa
Ok, sweet how do you prepare the frozen peas?
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2011 15:49Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I let them warm up, 5 minutes on top of the aquarium lamp is usually plenty of time. Then roll them between my fingers till they pop out of the skin. The skin gets tossed in the compost tray, the pea either gets mushed (smaller fish) or broken into bits (bigger fish so everyone gets some) with my fingers then just dropped in the water.

Leaving them for too long ontop the lamp will give you something that looks like it came out of a cup of noodles ....I've been known to do that a few times, just toss in compost. You can also soak them in a bit of warm water to get them up to temperature.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 26-Nov-2011 00:43Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies