Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeJust bought these guys
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
Today i went out and bought two striped raphael catfish. Anyone keep these currently or have kept them? I needed something that could be ok with cichlids. And I current have oscars(juvies) 75gal
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 06:55Profile PM Edit Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
They should be alright. I'm convinced that there is nothing harder in this world to eat than a raphael catfish. They have some serious spines and they can wedge themselves into some pretty tight spaces.

Besides, you're probably never going to see them if you have a decent amount of cover in the tank. Some people go months between sightings.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 18:20Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
yea they will be fine.......
to prove joe wrong look up magladoras or oxydoras niger.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 21:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I would be worried about bigger Oscars that can fit raphaels in their mouths, as you could end up with two dead fish if the Oscar tries to go for the raphael and partially swallows it; I've heard of Oscars going for catfishes before (most of which have locking dorsal and pectoral fins) and this sort of thing happening.

Of course, raphaels get pretty sizeable themselves. They won't be able to keep pace with Oscar growth but they might be able to remain large enough...

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2009 22:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
I love striped raphaels!
Like Shini said they grow slowly. Well actually if you buy them young they have a short growth burst but after that its rather slow going. But as Shinigami said they will get rather large. Close to a foot.
They will more than likely be able to hold their own against an oscar. I've read that striped raphaels are very shy but mine is out and about all the time. The bigger they get the more confident i guess. It helps that he's the largest fish in the tank. If they start grunting dont worry its normal. Freaky the first time you hear it even if you were prepared. And as previously mentioned they can wedge themselves into places pretty well. If they dont want to come out then theres not much that can make them. Hope everything goes well!!!!!!!!! good luck

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2009 00:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
Well its been a week or so and they really like the drift wood i put in there. I also have pvc underneath were one hides. They really dont like to be close they fight for spots so i plan on buying some more pvc pipe and putting them side by side so they each have a hideout.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
what do you mean by grunting?
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 07:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
They are also known as Talking Catfish for the grunting/croaking sound they make when out of water.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 08:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Haha, its classic catfish behavior to squeeze into the little shade that there is. That's just catfish being catfish.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 01:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
oh gotcha, that the noise you here if your horned pouting(new england term for blue catfish)and you hook one and go to remove the hook because it outta the water. i though u meant they grunt loud and you coud here them clearly through the wtaer and the glass walls of the tank.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 23:04Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
i though u meant they grunt loud and you coud here them clearly through the wtaer and the glass walls of the tank.

Oh, you can hear them quite well through the glass. I've found it to be much louder than when a CL clicks, which is clearly audible.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2009 06:51Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies