SubscribeKhuli Loaches with cichlids
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
I have a question about Khuli Loaches and cichlids.

I am setting up a cichlid tank and am planning on having Electric Yellows and Rusty cichlids.

Would khuli loaches be ok to add as a bottom dweller. The substrate is sand and I know they like to burrow.

If not khuli's, any other suggestions ... the tank is approx 53g.

Thanks all ... crusha

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 14:09Profile PM Edit Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
I would not suggest mixing them with those cichlids. The sand would be good for them though. Perhaps the orange fine loach(botia modesta) or the skunk loach(Botia morleti). I would pick the skunks. They stay smaller. Both of these loaches could fend for themselves. Make sure they have hiding spots. You can go to loaches.com for more info on just about any loach out there.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 15:56Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
female australia
Thanks for that info clownloachfan.

I have seen the skunk botia in the LFS but they are soooo pricey ... A$45.00.

I've noticed in quite a few cichlid tanks there are clown loaches but I've just removed my three from that tank as it was getting too small for them and I dont want to put more in there only to have to move them again.

What about yoyo loaches?

Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 16:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
WiseIves
----------
Enthusiast
MbunaMbunaMbuna
Kudos: 180
Votes: 85
male usa
I agree with clownlaochfan. Modesta would probably be the best choice however they get just as large as the clowns, which work as well. Skunks would be a good choice but really I think the a yoyo would work as well. I have seen tiger loaches in with MBuna as well. With considering that you will house the least aggresive of the Mbuna I would say yoyo's should be fine. Keep in mind that you should probably acclimate them to the tank because of the higher PH(not sure how you would do this) but they will be fine. I just suggest that you buy as big of yoyo's as you can find as the cichlids will probably grow faster.

By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates-
I happen to have become a philosopher
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 18:48Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
wow $45 AUD is equivalent to $34.55 USD Skunk botias sell for $3 USD at my LFS . Anyway orange fin botias or yo-yo's would be fine in your cichlid tank if acclimated long enough.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2006 21:39Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
Wow, you need to find a fish store with way lower prices. Just curious, what are some prices of common fish such as neon tetras, otocinclus, common plecs, clown loaches, etc.?
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2006 00:15Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
FORTY FIVE DOLLARS for a Skunk Botia?

Wow.

I think I could pick them up here in the UK for £3 each. That's about $AU6 or thereabouts.

Forty five dollars is the price I'd expect to pay for that brand new Myanmar loach discovered in 2003. Even sidthimunki doesn't cost that much here and that's been on the "rare and sky high desirable" list for years.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2006 03:17Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Patchy
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 195
Votes: 0
Here in Aus. we have very strict laws on what can be brught into the country. There is a list which wat can and cant be brught in. On the list is mostly catfish and loahes. which is main reason why skunks are s expensive.
We only got yoyo loaches off the list last year with chain loaches and a few L#'s.
Yu shuld see some prices of different plecos species. i have seen goldnuggets go AUS $800
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2006 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
female australia
I have only seen the Skunk Botia's at one LFS. They are obviously hard to come by here.

The prices of other tropicals are quite reasonable ...

Neon tetras are around $2, Clown Loaches start at around $8 for a small one, Otto's are around $7, they are hard to come by here as well (in Perth anyway).

Most of the smaller tetra's are sold in groups... say 5 for $10 - $15. Livebearers are really cheap.

So... back to the loaches, a Yoyo would be ok as long as i acclimatise it and make sure its on the larger size.

Any other suggestions???

Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2006 05:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
The strange part about the loaches.com piece on Skunk Botias is that just about eveyone who keeps them reports the species as being seriously pugnacious, but for some reason the ones I kept as a teenager were well behaved. Mind you, they WERE small. What they would be like once they got past about 2 inches in length is moot - I gather that once they get past the shoaling juvenile stage, they become belligerent and pugnacious. They're certainly tough - they'll withstand water conditions that will kill off many other fishes - and they can look after themselves in bad tempered company. I'd say that if you can't get genuine Rift Lake bottom feeders (because they're rare, too expensive or too large for your setup) then Skunk Botias will survive in an Mbuna setup. If the experiences related by more recent keepers of these fishes on the loaches.com website is anything to go by, I'd say that Skunk Botias are capable of looking after themselves even alongside the pyroclastic tempered species such as Pseudotropheus elongatus, though that is an experiment I'd hesitate to try with any specimens I owned unless I had somewhere safe to relocate them to if things went horribly wrong.

If you can get them, and can find an outlet that will sell them at a price that won't give your bank manager a coronary, I'd give them a try definitely. Don't put them in with delicate fishes though, just in case the Skunk Botias decide that the way to go is to exterminate competitors for cave space ... one thing you can be sure of though, is that the species is posibly one of the most bomb proof of all loaches hardiness wise. It'll survive long after other fishes have died off because of a bad ammonia spike.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2006 17:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
So skunk loaches can be kept with Mbuna? Are there any other loaches, besides clowns, that can be kept with Mbuna?

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2006 04:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
female australia
These Skunk Botia's have been in the LFS for well over a year now ... and no wonder at the price they want them for.

I wonder if they'd accept a "reasonable offer" to get rid of a few? I guess its worth a try.

I was told that the loaches are good for turning over the sand and feeding from the bottom. I would have thought that because cichlids dig that that would have been sufficient.

My maintenance will be 50% weekly water changes and of course syphoning off the bottom. Do i really need to have them?

Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2006 04:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
I think there are several kinds of loaches that would
be ok with the fish youve named, Skunks and YoYo loaches and Clown loaches all being suitable, as well as Zebras,
and any other similar sized and temperment loach.

Here skunks go for about 5-7 dollars, same for most loaches of the same size/shape.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2006 10:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies