AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# Minimum Tanksize For A Bristlenose Pleco?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMinimum Tanksize For A Bristlenose Pleco?
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
Votes: 0
male canada
i looked at profiles of a bristlenose pleco and they grow about 5 inches, i was wondering what size should the tank be for it?. the person in the store said 10 gall is fine but i don't believe him
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 09:25Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Hi there,

I would think they would need a bit more room than a 10 gallon. Also bear in mind that they are high waste producers.

It may be ok for a little while, whilst its still a little guy but you would eventually have to upgrade to a larger aquarium.

What is your reason for getting one, if its to keep the algae down, you might be better off with an Otto.

Cheers
Crusha

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 09:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rocker23
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 70
male canada
hey tnx for the reply. i was thinking the same. but what about other small plecos? that are around 3 inches? would they be too big?. reason i don't want to get ottos is because i heard they are very fragile. correct me if i'm wrong please
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 09:56Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Hi again,

Well personally, i have had no luck with Otto's they are very sensitive. I have heard that if they make it past 2 weeks then your pretty certain they have a good chance of survival. You would probably need a few more than just one tho, they like to be in groups.

I'm not sure of any smaller pleco's. I'm sure another member will be able to help you with that one. Otherwise check out the profiles. You might find one there.

Crusha

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 11:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
I agree with everything above. 10G is probably a little small for a BN long term. I'm not aware of any smaller pleco's, but as crusha said, check the profiles page here. This will also let you know if the pleco is a useful algae eater (not all are). Otto's are probably your best bet in a 10G. They do need good water quality, but if you are doing regular, correct water changes, why can't you achieve the water quality to keep them happy?
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 15:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wayne_rowley
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 6
male uk
I have a BN in a 17g tank, but have decided that I am going to get a second, larger, tank later this year. I want to set up an angel fish display. When I do I will move the pleco to that once the tank is cycled.

Wayne
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 15:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wayne_rowley
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 6
male uk
Not sure what the scientific name is but have a look in your LFS for 'Hong-Kong Plec'. They are small plecostomus like fish that only get to 5cm. They are very sweet! Will probably put some in the 17g once the plec has moved.

Wayne
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 15:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 16:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
~jamie~
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 671
Votes: 65
female usa
Hi

I would definitely not keep a full grown bristle nose in a 10g tank because they are high waste producers as was stated above. If you are interested in keeping a bristle nose to eat algae in a 10g, I would suggest that you go with an LDA08 gold marble ancistrus if you have any access to them as they only get around 3 inches long. Or else I would stick with a few otos. Just make sure you have good water quality and acclimate them well and keep up with your water changes.
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 16:55Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
I would say the minimum tank size is a 20g. In a 10g you dont have much options for bottom feeders. Depending on what you have as tankmates, you could go with pygmi cories.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 17:05Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
Ottos are more picky than sensitive IMO. They need the tank to fit their needs. They are sensitive to water quality, so the tank should be cycled and the water parameters should be right.

They like a planted tank more than unplanted and that will help them survive. They should be acclimated for a little while, floating the bag first for atleast 30 mins then pouring a little tank water in and waiting for about 20 mins then do it again.

There should be algae readily available, and the kind they eat (soft green and brown diatom algaes). You really should always have algae available or atleast make algae rocks for them by putting some rocks in water in direct sunlight. IME they won't eat algae wafers or any other food.

If the conditions fit their needs and water quality is good, you should have no problem keeping them alive.

IME I try to get the bigger ottos from the LFS. I have brought home a couple skinny ones and they didn't make it a day. Get healthy, bigger ones.

They are the best algae eaters for a 10g. BN's need atleast a 20g.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 15-Apr-2006 18:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
PurestDJ
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
male uk
I'd second the Hong-Kong pleco vote (also known as hillstream loaches) They are really beautiful fish and can be full of subtle colours...but don't get them for their algae eating abilities, they do eat algae but not a lot!
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 23:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies