AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# My Clown Loach Isnt Looking Too Good.. Advice?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy Clown Loach Isnt Looking Too Good.. Advice?
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
Hey guys, when i fed the fish this morning i saw that my clown loach isnt looking too good.

he jumped out of the tank a few years ago, and has had a bulgy eye ever since, but he has been great.

the problem is, is that the eye has now turned completely white/yellow and this morning he was breathing heavy.

i just got home now, and he isnt breathing as hard as he was, but his eye is still messed up.

At certain angles you can see how his skin is somewhat roughed up, and a whiteish colored, but you can ONLY see it at certain angles (if you have loaches, you know what im talking about)

He is basically my fav fish, because i have had him since i was 1 years old, and i really dont want anything bad to happen to it

can i get any help here?

I did a gravel vac last friday, and i did another water change yesterday.

the tank has been set up forever, no ammo or nitrites, not sure about hte nitrate level, but it is prolly pretty low due to the two water changes.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2007 22:08Profile PM Edit Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
EditedEdited by pookiekiller12
Take a water sample to a fish store to be checked. One of the hallmarks of "Old tank syndrome" is high nitrates in an old tank. I think that is likely one thing bothering the loach.

Clown loaches get large, how big is it and how big is the tank it is in?

Good luck.
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2007 23:46Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
well, like i said, i did a few water changes, so if the nitrates were high, they wolnt be now.

i got some melafix (i think?) ad i put it in the tank.

Hopefully this will do the trick.

the loach is 9"
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2007 00:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
Not to beat the old drum, but it took me over two weeks of daily partial water changes to get my nitrates down once I knew I had a problem. If you do not get it tested, you WON'T know.

Loaches and other scaleless fishes are very sensitive to medicines. If you went to the shop, you should have had them test the water.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2007 01:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
my dad went to the shop on his way home from work.

i put a less-dose in because we are working with clown loaches, but the medicine from what i was told will work with them fine
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2007 01:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies