Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeRaising green Cory eggs
NewBreeder16
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 94
Votes: 16
male usa
My cories recently laid eggs but i lost them all to fungus. I have an antifungal but i was hoping that there was more i could do.Thanks in advance
-NewBreeder16

Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2006 15:32Profile PM Edit Report 
seedkiros
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 270
Votes: 8
male canada
I'm no expert, and nor have I ever had experience, but if you move the eggs to a separate tank and have an air pump pumping air right under it, I think it will prevent alot of egg losses.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2006 20:32Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mikdavy2
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 224
Votes: 35
male usa
What seedkiros wrote will help, try and keep the water flowing, and maybe use a filter to help clean and stir things up.

http://www.thousandfootkrutch.com
http://www.hawknelson.com
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2006 22:07Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Aeration will help, as will an antifungal agent. However, I have an old TFH article from the 70s that says experiments were conducted with a freshwater crustacean called Asellus borealis (otherwise known as the freshwater louse), where fish eggs were placed in an aquarium containing these creatures. Apparently Asellus feeds on fungal organisms among others, and will eat egg fungus without damaging the eggs. The experiment reported a considerable increase in egg survival using this technique.

Of course, if you use an antifungal agent as well, that's belt and braces, so to speak, but if any fungus DOES survive the antifungal treatment, a bunch of Asellus will take care of it. I've yet to try this out myself, but I'm acquiring a selection of aquatic invertebrates in the near future, and I'm going to give the Asellus a try as a 'living antifungal' in the near future, on the basis that (if the TFH researchers were correct, and I have no reason to doubt them as yet), the most effective antifungal agent of all is something that eats the fungus - just as the most efficient cure for any pest is something that treats the pest as lunch, hence the popularity of Botia loaches as snail eradicators.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 05:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
NewBreeder16
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 94
Votes: 16
male usa
Where can i get some? Do a lot of petshops carry them?
I need to move fast cause my cory looks wider today
-New

Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2006 20:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies