---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Metagon
LoL, I can barely contain my excitement. Imagine this: five years ago, PlanetCatfish posts a Catfish of the Month article. You basically immediately want the fish, but the fish is so rare that you never see it. Until NOW. I wouldn't be surprised if pigs were flying soon, that's how unbelievable this is.

So I HAD to buy it. What is this fish? It is none other than the Black Lancer. The little boy is in quarantine right now and he's scarfing down frozen bloodworms like there's no tomorrow. Perhaps one of the worst excuses ever for a predator (quite a turnaround from my last Bagrid, Horabagrus brachysoma), but it's great that he's eating just the same. I'm definitely gonna give it some tender lovin' and carin' so I can make sure it lives a long, healthy, happy life.

Just had to share my enthusiasm, 'cuz it's just that great of a feeling. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Hey Perky, got any stories of your own to share about your Black Lancer?

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2006 22:38Profile PM Edit Report 
~jamie~
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 671
Votes: 65
female usa
Wow congrats on landing such a sweet fish! What other kind of fish are you going to keep with it? I am also just curious if you have it in a planted tank or fake deco? Where on earth did you find it? Way to go! I hope you get to post some pics soon!
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 05:23Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Metagon
There aren't any current plans to keep it with anything else for a while, though it'll probably eventually go with my Royal Plec as it get heftier. The setup's got mostly rocks since I have no talent with plants other than Java Moss; it's bare bottom right now, but sand might be added eventually. I don't like using plastic decor, so I really only have some rocks with it. Admittedly, I'm not going to be winning any aquascaping awards, but at least it's relatively easy to keep clean, lol. The Lancer was just at a local pet store; the store isn't even a specialty fish store, another thing that adds to the surprise of it all.

And yeah, I'll try to get pics soon.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2006 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
synodontis
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 2000
Votes: 1099
male newzealand
Black lancers are awesome Shini congrats!
and I thought my false asian bumblebee cat was cool

--------------------------
Billy was a scientist, Billy is no more. For what he thought was H20, was H2SO4
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 07:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Perky
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1036
Votes: 162
male uk
Well mine is quite a little quite boy to be honest. He lives in his little cave that the shares with the Clowns at times but he is still only 4 inches I guess so he is still small compared to the two Upsidedown Synos in there. Once he takes over the synos I am guessing he will become more active. You can see him in the day just led in his hole but nothing more really and you gotta be crafty to see him at night, when you turn the light on (I gotta dimmer light) it has to start of as low as possible and slowly go up enough to see him but even then he will make a run for it.

Very good find tho Shini

P.S. The setup sounds like it would suit it as mine is all sand with a giant piece of driftwood and then rocks on the left and mine loves the rocks, never goes near the driftwood really so should fit in really good
Post InfoPosted 16-Apr-2006 12:25Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Pictures as promised.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/thread.aspx?id=28493&rp=4

Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
~jamie~
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 671
Votes: 65
female usa
Very awesome! That is definitely a sweet looking fish. Again, great find! jamie
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 01:45Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Just looked this up.

Planet Catfish has quite a bit to say about it - Bagrichthys macracanthus is the scientific name for those who are interested. It's a 9 inch fish when adult apparently, so although it's fairly big, it's not an out and out "tank buster", though I suspect this won't be a problem for an aquarist who is keeping much bigger things in his collection to begin with, and has the space!

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 14:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
What a beauty.
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 20:05Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Great find!! If you don't mind me asking, what did he end up costing you?

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 21:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Metagon
$30, which is chump change for most fish that fit in the rare category. It was surprising what I was getting away with.

A beautiful fish indeed.

Post InfoPosted 17-Apr-2006 21:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Perky
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1036
Votes: 162
male uk
When I bought mine I had heard about them from you and immediatley became addicted, searched everywhere and couldn't find it for ages. As soon as I did find it I was amazed, it only cost £12.50! Thats the same as 3 Clown Loach or a large Featherfin round here! So I immediatley snapped it up and its been with me since.

Mine also has those silver "scratch" marks down it's side, any idea what they are Shini as it has always had them so can't be that much of a bad thing, just wondered like
Post InfoPosted 16-May-2006 09:42Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies