Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe75 Gallon Stocking Ideas
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 57
Votes: 1
male canada
I want a large cichlid setup. Just not sure was thinking single Jaguar or Oscar pair. What do you think?
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 05:11Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
well i personally love oscars and have on in a 55.personally though you coud do a pair i woud only go with one just mho it would be better for the fish and it would give it thaty extra room, but then again its up to you. dont know if youve kept oscars before but they are like dogs and can be trained to jump through hoops if so desired and will feed from their keepers hands.also they are a predatory fish by natural and can ad excitement for friends if live foods are fed such as feeder fish or cricket as the fish will "hunt" them and eat them, however they wil do fine on a cichid staple pellet if your not into the whole live food things being killed bit
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 05:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
to tell u the 100% truth id get the jag same personality but more aggressive. they get pretty big so u may need to upgrade in a few years. they are really cool fish but so are oscars but they just dont look as good.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 11:53Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
ya i think im set on a jag, but i want other ideas and info on different ideas. If i had one large aggressive fish for example and i grew it up from a baby with another tank mate like a catfish or pleco would it work or would the cichlid kill it eventually? I heard armoured catfish are good, but they aren't at ne local petstores. Would a Gib.Pleco be ok? something that wouldn't become lunch would be nice
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 22:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
your lfs doesnt have plecostamus's?ive never heard of a lfs not having atleast one variety of pplecostamus.usually the have hypostamus plecostamus which is the common pleco because they are cheap, obviously common...however they dont tell you that they grow very large and are basically unsuitable for an aquarium.this would be a good choice only if u plan to move the jag into and extremely large tank.a 75 gallon will not be large enough for them. also do you have algea problems?if not just go with the jag, or possibly a pair of oscars if you do not want a sole fish.a good alternative would be to scrape algea of with an aelgal scraper and/or leave the tank light on less, also watch nitrates and manage with your water changes.
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 22:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
quick_silver_2694
-----
Fish Addict
male canada
"I heard armoured catfish are good, but they aren't at ne local petstores"

I think you need to read more carefully before you post. Ne ways im looking for a suitable tankmate. I never once said anything about algae problems. I can handle that, plus just because you get a pleco doesn't mean they are there just to eat algae you can give them algae wafers and zuchini, blanched lettuce which is great for them.With age plecos barely eat ne algae at all and get lazy.

I just simply wonder what kind of tankmate would go with a jaguar if possible.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 09:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
it really depends on the jag some are so aggressive that they will kill everthing! some will have no problem with a gib pleco. and cichlid kid how would 2 fish that get 15 inches plus fit in a 75 and a fish that gets 18 inchs cant...... i know cuz of length but the tank sould be wide enough from front to back for it for a year or 2....

i would keep mine with a bichir.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 14:43Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
my point entirely, you said it yourself they eat get lazy. wouldnt you rather have some thing other thats more attractive to look at like another jag.and if you read my post i clearly said i would not advise it
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 23:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
"however they dont tell you that they grow very large and are basically unsuitable for an aquarium.this would be a good choice only if u plan to move the jag into and extremely large tank.a 75 gallon will not be large enough for them. also do you have algea problems?if not just go with the jag, or possibly a pair of oscars if you do not want a sole fish." i suppose this was over looked, please dont bash someone until you have clearly read.i advised not to do it, but riri1 correct me if im wrong but you could start a 2 inch jag and a 2 inch pleco in a 75 then move them later with no problems obviously you would need a bigger tank, i never once said anything about housing them in a 75 permanantly.that would be like living in your bathroom permanantly
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2009 00:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
CHILDREN, CHILDREN, Please stop bickering! I've followed the whole exchange and it's a little laughable that you guys are soooo touchy. It's a new tank idea "quick" is asking for. Give your opinion and leave it at that. If "you" have questions, ask "quick".

Now my hubby would love a Jag, but having a solitary fish is not an option in my house. We like more "bang for the buck" so it would have to be community cichilds. Maybe multis would be good. Although, you will need a heap of shells. They are very colorful and they have little mini sqabbles that a very funny to watch.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2009 07:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies