Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAn Oscar for your thoughts?
The Mutant Goldfish
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 31
Votes: 8
male usa
I have been playing around with the notion of getting an Oscar]http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/475.htm[/link]. How I want to go about raising one is buying a baby and putting it in a 20 gallon. Once it has begun to outgrow the 20 gallon, I plan on moving it to a permanent 55 gallon aquarium. I know that this is a big fish and I realize the potential for maintenance. Can anyone share any helpful tips on [link=Oscar-keeping? Such as cleaning the cage, how often, what kinds of filtration should I use, what decor should I use, ect. Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to respond!

---
Born in radioactive waters, the Mutant Goldfish swims...
Check out my profile to see my tank setup(s)!
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 02:56Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
ummmmmmm well yea i have had so many oscars and i have noticed that u will need to clean the gravel either 2 times a week to sucking up that food on the bottem of the tank after feeding.

and a 55 is ok with one fish only in the tank and maybe a catfish or a pleco but u really need to do a but load of gravel vacing.

u are gona need a lot of filtration i used a HOB and a canister filter. canister filters are kinda expensive so u can use 2 HOB filters will be fine. they sometimes like good current but some times they dont it depends on the fish.

the decor should be some smooth rocks and some type of drift wood maybe a little floating plants. they will play with the floating plants and they get bord sometimes and that helps them not destroying filters and heaters.
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 06:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
Oscars usually get to large for a 55g. 75g would be a better choice for the added 6 inch depth. Oscars get to be around 14 inches. 55g tank is 12 inches front to back. 75g is 18 inches.
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 14:29Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
chris1017
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 421
Votes: 70
male usa us-maryland
Trust me when I say a 55 is just not enough room for an oscar. Mine looked cramped in my 125. On top of that they are filty so tons of filtration and cleaning will be needed.

One thought might be some pairs of dwarf cichlids like bolivian and german rams or some kribs. Convits would be cool too, they are tough and easy to breed.

If you really want a bigger cichlid try looking into fire mouths. they are really cool looking and don't need as much space as the oscars.

chris
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 07:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
well if u keep ur oscars busy they wont looked so cramped by paceing the tank if u add some ghost shrimp or maybe some feeders that u have had for a week or 2 and they look and eat healthy. they just are really smart fish and need to do something other than pace the tank.
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 01:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
Its the turning radius of the tank. fish dont like to bump into glass everytime they turn around. 4ft is not much swimming room for a 14 inch fish either. imagin how much fun it would be living in a cloest you can take 4 steps in, thats the life of a oscar in a 4ft tank. atleast with a 75g it can turn aorund and keep swimming.
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 03:49Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
well it would be like a a 17 foot long closet for me lol. 6' 3" but i get wat u mean. it would be a pain but it will be fine for the time being till it gets over a foot long then up grade to a 4' 18" or a 6' 24".
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2008 04:30Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies