SubscribeAngel not eating
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited by kellyjhw
I have an Angel that's not eating. I noticed it about 1 1/2 days ago. He's not eating flakes, frozen blood worm, frozen daphnia, or thawed squashed peas. The water parameters are normal. Ammonia and Nitrite are 0. PH is 7. Nitrate is 5. I have a medium planted tank, mostly stem plants and a few anubias and crypt(s). All of the other fish, including 4 other angels are eating well. None of the fish are displaying any injuries and all are behaving the same as always. All of the other fish are accounted for. No one has become a meal yet.
Do fish fast? Watch their fishy figures? What? Is this normal? Do they try to lose weight to look attractive at the beach? Someone throw me a line here and help me out.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2009 07:05Profile PM Edit Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
mmm,thats a tricky 1,normally if there fins are damaged or they are getting picked on,this can account for not eating.but as you said the angel looks fine!.
as far as i know,no they dont fast.
the only time i can think when 1 of my fish did fast,was 1 of my blue acara females,and she was just about to lay eggs.
so id be keeping a close eye,for the next week or so.
dont worry to much yet,1 and a half days in nothing,ive seen fish go weeks with out food,for what eva reason and they were fine.
actully come to think of it,i did have a flowerhorn that sometimes got a bit picky,and went on a hunger strike.
also sometimes,even with yummy foods like worms,if they are fed them to much or to often,just like us they can become sick of it.
maybe try something new,or a new type of pellet,even something they havent had b4!
hope this helps..
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2009 08:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Who initiates mating in angels? the male or female? Do I have to worry about one of them getting hurt? I know the pair will shoo everyone away once they start, but do I have to worry about them hurting each other during or after the deed?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2009 21:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
i dont think they will hurt eachother but just be ready if they do....
Post InfoPosted 04-Mar-2009 22:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
It's eating, but just a little. So I guess that's good. It use to be the first in line to eat. And would eat until it's completely gone from the top. Now, it shies away when the food is dropped in. Today, it took a few nibbles for breakfast, then went to the far corner.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-Mar-2009 18:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Okay watched the fish eat today, and realized it's not eating right. It' takes a bite and spits everything back out. What could cause that? I watched it suck up and spit out 1 frozen blood worm 4 times before it gave up and a barb snatched it up. So I tried the frozen daphnia and got the same result. It took a bite out of the cube, then spit it out. Then tried to suck it back up, and spit it out again. It's almost like it's choking or has a sore throat? (I know fish don't have throats. You know what I mean.) Can something be blocking it's digestion?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2009 20:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Garlic is an appetite enhancer, if you have some fresh garlic try mixing some of the juice into some flake or other dry food.

You can try adding it to frozen, I just wouldn't expect it to absorb as much.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2009 23:43Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies