Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAngelfishes who has them
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
female newzealand
And what can you tell me about them. I went well with the set up of my 1st tropical and decided that i might try have a go at looking after angelfishes.

I am sure they arent as complex as some make them out to be I have a siamese fighter and my god hes a handsome boy and in with tetras and no problems.

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 09:19Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Is that a Siamese BETTA or Siamese algae eater? If it's an algae eater, you can't have an Angel. The SAE will eat the slime off the Angel. This will weaken the Angels' immunity and kill it. If it is a BETTA, they will most likely fight, to the death. Bettas are jealous of flashy or long tailed fish. Angels don't like tail nippers.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 17:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Whooppsss i should of mentioned... Another tank for the angels. Not in the same tank another one. but I meant i have one with a betta in there and he is awesome, the angels arent going in the same tank ohhh no no no no. I know about that bit. Just another one i am setting up. Just checking

its a 70ltr tank and i read the angels need on average 20ltrs. Any additional info??

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 19:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
angels need tall and large tanks as they grow to have very long fins that stretch up and down. Once an adult angels can be very territorial and very aggressive. I would not put a pair of angels in anything less than 40 gallons (i think thats very close to 180 liters) The problem is a single angel will be lonely they like a partner or a small school when growing up. sadly when a pair forms the pair turns on their tank mates often killing or injuring the other angels and etc. I would look into the set ups that other Fish Profilers have their angels in and take those for example.

I know it seems like alot of open and excess space but it will save you some heartache. Not to worry there are plenty of other dither type fish and bottom feeders that can cohabitate with the angels (unless they are small enough to fit in the adult angel's mouth).

Angels are not a very difficult fish to keep, but you need to better research you initial setup before any plans get set into motion.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 22:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Okay, here's what you need to do if you really want Angels.
1. You have to have a tank of at least 40-50 gal.
2. You should get at least a pair to prevent loneliness and evil slash outs (those will come anyway when they are adults)
3. Live Plants
4. Watch your tank parameters (you can find their preferences in the profiles area)
5. Pick happy tankmates, no tail nippers, no-one small enough to fit in to his mouth

When you pick your Angels, you have to choose whether you want to get a definite pair (adults) or a group. If you have enough space for a group, it's really cool to watch them grow. So you can get them as juvies. You can't sex Angels until they are sexually mature. If you can find a way to do that let me know. Once they reach maturity they should pair off. So be prepared to get another tank for the unwed, or to find them a new home. The pairs will torture the unmatched ones.

Other than the tankmates, parameters, and size of tank, they're an easy, breezy bunch to have.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 02:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
Hi thanks for information and Yes i have been doing my research just looking to see if some of what the site says backs up my research so i can be sure of what i am doing.

Heres what i have so far

Tank: 60cms long 23.6inches long
38cms tall 15inches tall and 30cms wide 12inches wide

That is 70ltrs not sure how that works out in gallons.

Brown gravel,ornaments and plants,heater,themometer and lights

6 Angelfishes, 6 red phantoms, 6 black phantoms and 6 bronze cories...

now is there anything wrong there if so then i will go back to the drawing board if i need to

Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 08:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
That tank is no where near large enough to fit even the angels alone. you need a tank AT LEAST double that size.

The tetras and corries alone will outgrow that tank.

FP has a handy little tool in the calculators section that will convert litres to gallons and etc, but what you have is less than 20 gallons when you need to have something that is more in the range of 45 or 50 gallons.

You will also need live plants with the angels as they need nice and long leaved plants to hide amongst good plants can be vals and swords (need to be large sword varieties not micro or dwarf).

I am not trying to pick on you at all but it seems that your research is a bit... faulty.

6 baby angels would do fine alone in that tank for a few months, but you would soon need to upgrade as well as couldn't keep the other fish in there with them.

If thats the tank you already have you should reconsider what you are doing, if you haven't yet bought the tank, reset your aspirations to a much larger tank.

I think mez breeds and keeps angels so maybe you should send him a PM and ask some in depth questions about keeping them in larger groups and tank size, etc.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 20:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
hey thanks. thats cool i know your not trying to pick on me.

I was wondering if it was faulty i have had places telling me its all go and so i was checking... Oh well i might just turn it into either a frog tank or another tetra zone.

Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 21:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies