Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAngels with Crays?
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Hey, can I put a native cray in with Angels without worry? The problem is I would have to take a pic at the LFS of it to identify which species. They are only ever labled as crays without being specific. So my assumption is that it will be an American cray of some sort. I know American crays are pretty aggressive and so are Angels. The only other commonly available invert is ghost shrimp. And I don't know who, but someone keeps eating mine in the 55 gal. (I've narrowed the culprits down to the yoyos and angels)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 16:09Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
The yoyos have been eating the ghost shrimp they go crazy over them....... they love to eat inverts....... with the cray he will probly start to ceatch and eat ur fish......
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 22:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
Ive never had a problem with crayfish eating fish. They are scavengers and don;t actually hunt for live food.
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 23:05Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
My experiences are similar to Gourami's, but a potential problem I could see is that the long dangly fins on the angel might start to look mighty tasty.
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 23:19Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I have a friend that has 2 crays in a 40+gallon tank of their own. (Can't remember the actual size of the tank) He gives them live feeder goldfish. OH, they will hunt. I just don't know what their size limit for attack is.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 05-May-2009 23:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
lol crays wont hunt is pretty funny....... i have seen the ceatch giant dainos live from the school at the top of the water...... they are suppriseingly quick and good hunters i had one that would sit and wait in a tall plant once a danio got to close boom he had in its claws and then brought it back to its cave to eat.... mine dug out a huge tunnel under a huge chunk of a rock that was see threw so i could see him and it is pretty cool.... theres a video on u tube of one ceatching a clown knife that was like 2 or 3 times the size of it and holding on to it..... so i think any fish in the tank could be in danger..... maybe ull get one like Gourami or ull get one like mine.... he took out 6 giant dainos and 8 tiger babrs with only 1 that he never got a hold of...... he also killed 2 bamboo shimps i had put in the tank and ate them he would always clean the alge in the tank from rocks 2.... they are cool to own if u have like a 20 gall all to them selfs and set it up nice so they can climb in some plant or so they can borrow under rocks and some live fish for them to eat when ever they want......
Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 00:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Cray do hunt. If you have small cray and low decor you could get away with it, but generally speaking they are incredibly skilled hunters.

Unfortunately angels are not top swimmers either, so you can't guarantee that they wouldn't put themselves in nipping distance either.

You could buy a cray without nippers (they can lose them in fights etc) and just rehome as they grew back, but you might be attached by that point and it isn't really a long term solution.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 06-May-2009 04:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
male canada ca-ontario
EditedEdited 06-Dec-2009 14:00
lol one word..... NO!!! ive had crays for the past 3+ years and whenever ive gotten a fish or any other animal as a friend, theyd die within an hour. so, your angels will most likely become expensive feeder fish! P.S. snails wont live long either! R.I.P Becks
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2009 13:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ben_C
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 0
male canada ca-ontario
crayfish are sweet. they are clever hunters and will pick feeder fish off one by one. mine has a harder time pickin out lone fish, but schools he usually gets a few stupid ones. sometimes he will use his claws thro up gravel to lure in fish than snag them. strong swimming fish can usually manouver out of his grasp if they get caught, and belive me they only get pinched once. My friend had one with 4 pirrahnas, and when the food would fall to the bottom he would snag it and stock pile it, fighting off the fish. and he always one. they are tough and resiliant. if u have a peaceful tank he may be peacefull and just eat what he gets. the moto in my tank is usually the strong survive. he survives. They hate rope fish!!!
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2011 02:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies