SubscribeBlood Parrot?
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hey there,
just wondering if blood parrots are solitary cichlids or prefer others their own kind?
I bought a young one to grow up, and it is about 2 inches in a planted well filtered 25g tank alone.
When it grows a bit I will be moving it over to my 75g planted community tank.
So, anything I need to know?
Im feeding him brine shrimp and blood worms, and assorted
flake and pellets.
Are they social or no is my main concern, as I would want to get another one of similar size while young.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 06:45Profile PM Edit Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
to be honest mate,ive had both.
ive had mean ones that wanted the whole tank to his self,and i have ones that mixed with other parrots and cichlids with no probs.
i think you wont really know for sure untill you try it.
this is where it comes in real handy to have a divider,they are a must in my oppion when keeping aggresive fish.
that way if things dont go to plan,you can seperate the aggressive fish.
also the longer you leave him on his own,the worse he could be to mix with other fish.
id be trying it while he still is young.
sometimes more aggresion comes with age,eg the older they get the more nasty they get.
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 11:24Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
These arent Cichlids.
Theyre man made mutants.
To answer your questions, though, it will dig all the plants up in your community tank, and they still act like big american cichlids at times. They will even try to spawn in some cases, although they are infertile of course.
Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 17:13Profile PM Edit Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
They are still cichlids.
Yep they are man made mutants the same as Chihuahuas
and great danes - but those are still dogs.

Thanks for your help! Im going to be adding some dither fish tot he 25, so hopefully that will give me more idea what the personality of this fish is.

Post InfoPosted 27-Apr-2009 21:04Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Not real ones though. they dont occur in the wild. They should be 'Noncichlasoma domesticus' IMO.
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2009 02:19Profile PM Edit Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Chihuahuas and great danes dont exist in the wild
either

Actually its funny that people say these fish are sterile,
as I know several people in my aquarium club who have breeding pairs.

Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 21:09Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
There are people in an aquarium club that keep blood parrots?
Is this "Club 18" or something?
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 22:56Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
sry sneaky but i got to say these fish should not be sold anywhere same with flower horns...... they are a mutant
(lack of a better word) cichlid still the same thing just looks weird....... imo ur just wasteing time and putting ur planted tank in jepordy..... i cant express how much i hate hybreds now they are starting to take over the hobby....... I think it should be stoped or kept out of stores....
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2009 23:14Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
im with so very sneaky on this one,ive had a parrot breeding pair b4,half the time that is crap about them being sterile.ive proven that sevral times.lol
my lfs store has a king kong parrot pair,and they spawn like crazy,they are also $550 for the pair.
just because they are man made dont mean nothing,THEY ARE STILL A CICHLID.they are made from other cichlids,so that makes them cichlid too.
as for not being sold in the trade,each to there own,i still say one of the best looking man made CICHLIDS i ever owned was a import pearl dragon flowerhorn.
he was $650 at 3 inches.
my lfs still has pictures of him up on ther wall.i also came 1st in a comp too,for best looking largest import male flowerhorn,!
there hybrids,and also 1 of the most sort after fish in certain circles,find me a grren terror or a red terror or even a top quality male wolf cichlid,and they dont fetch a quarter of what parrots or flowerhorns sell for.
so like them or hate them,there here to stay.
anyway how is the parrot going so far,sneaky?
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 11:56Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
I dont think its worth my time on this subject to be honest.
Any serious Cichlid keeper would understand.
Flowehorns/LouHan single handedly wiped out a lot of Singapore fish shops.
They are expensive because of their colours, you are aware of that? As in, certain colour patterns mean certain things to the asian producers.
These are also fish that are tatood for people who think they look good. Please bare in mind that youre supporting this buy buying these parrot fish, thats all. HOKSEE is just ignorant of this fact, it would seem, but theres no point in me waisting my breath as this happened in the previous posts, the concerns were raised, and then ignored, and then made true.
As for dogs not occuring in the wild. Actually, Wild Dogs do exist, and if i could get my hands on one, i would do. So far ive only been able to track Racoon Dogs down. They are not so readily available as something that would occur in the wild in the fish trade really, are they?
For the record, i have had a wild cat and never a domestic one
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 19:30Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
im with mez on this they die parrots the do surgery to make unicorn ones no tail ones its just not right...... The main reason i dont like them is hybreds are takeing over the hobby i liked hybreds at one time when they are a accident in a SA or CA comm setting...... I just dont think its right that the pure bred fish are starting to dissaper from the hobby cuz all people just want to have a parrot cichlid with a heart on its side or cuz out a section of the drosel fin to make it kinda look like it has the horn of a unicorn its very very very crule and if it happend to cats or dogs the people would get a crazy fine and jail time....... some arnt steril and thats the problem in the usa stupid kids put them into cannals, rivers, and lakes then they breed and the population grows and grows........ then u have these stupid crappy looking hybreds that are to weirdly shaped to be eaten by larger preditory fish....... the thing is they are cichlids and they get aggressive when breeding take away the habitat of native sps....... im not saying they shouldnt be owned but when they die them or have the in stores like petco petsmart wallmart and all thos...... they sell for a large price just cuz some one thought it would be a great idea to stab a fish with a needle and inject die into them...... or put them in a bucket of painful slime coat remover and then put them in die..... if u want to support this practic ur not a true fish keeper im sry but its true........ not gona argue any more about it cuz im already heated over this topic cuz of the HRR69.....
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 20:19Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Ok people
this was a thread to ask about these fish.
It was not for you to come and bash and abuse me
and be trolls.
I quit this site before for the same reasons.
You people need to grow up and either offer
some good quality advice, or dont say anything at all.
For petes sake, smarten up and be polite.

Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 22:08Profile PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
EditedEdited by acidrain
So Very Sneaky, I appoligize for the problems and difficulty you are having getting the answers you are looking for. But, IMO, many of these answers are actually polite, at least compared to many that I have seen to the same type of threads and ideas. And if you really want a feel for the way many feel about hybrids, you should visit some cichlid only sites. Many do not even allow the posting of threads related to hybrids.

For some, the problem here in the states right now, is the HRR669 on the balets in congress. For now it has been put on the back burner, and probably a dead issue.... for now that is. But, at any time it could come back up. If it passed, you would not have to ever again worry about hearing from anyone in the United States about the hobby, ever again! Because it would destroy the fish keeping industry and the hobby. As it would have banned the keeping of any and all fish not found in the US within the area you live in. One of the reasons that brought this bill up was the fact of that there are so many hybrids being produced. This idea of the ease that these hybrids are being produced threatens that if any said fish is released into the wild, that there is a chance it would breed with other native fish and thus create a new hybrid in the local waters. It has already happened several times in the Florida waters. So you see, with this bill have recently being in the works and all, in the US, many have gotten an increased non-liking to hybrids.

As for being quiet for the thread, well I have been. If you ask others on this site, they will most definitely tell you about feeling towards hybrids. I will not discuss them at all any more. But, I am posting this so you may have a better understanding of why so many people, in the US especially, have taken the step up on the soap box every chance they can get. We here in the US are fighting for the right to keep the aquarium fish hobby going. Personally I have sent over a dozen snail mail letters to my congressman, and several dozen emails about this bill.

Now if anyone takes a direct threat against you, or personally slanders you, please let the moderators know by reporting the thread and what you feel was the problem. If we feel the threat to be true, there are many things we can do about it, including but not limited to; locking the thread, editing other peoples posts to delete any problems noted, and even banning the person in question if it is found to be nessecary.

As for your original question(s), I cannot help you there, as I have no experience with these fish.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 22:43Profile PM Edit Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
well said sneaky your %100 right!
yeah ok mez,im ignorant,you cant handel the fact that you are wrong/or another person has a valid point.when this happens all of a sudden its not worth your time,lol.
anywhoo,the choice is up to you sneaky.
but in all the years ive delt with hybrid fish,i too have copped alot of flak.
as said above,seek out a parrot/hybrid site.thats what i did after i asked a few flowerhorn questions,and got bombarded.
the replys came hard and fast,hybrids do this and hybids that,but dont worry about it.each to there own.
youll get alot more info and tips from a site that just deals with these fellas.
good luck with your new COOL HYBRID! he he
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 04:27Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Okay, I've got to play the Devil's Advocate... How do you feel about non-wild Angels? Aren't they a hybrid of some sort? So_Very_Sneaky, I'm sorry I couldn't help it. I've never had a blood parrot before. I've seen them at my LFSs. I can ask the next time I'm in. Two of the shopkeepers are very knowledgeable on all the fish they sell. In this shop, I've always found them in the tank alone. So maybe there is something to that. But then they are always the LARGER fish that I see. I've never seen juvies.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 05:51Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
Ill answer ur question yes they do get aggressive they are a lot like a fh in a way they are ok with larger sized cichlids as i have seen some adults at a friends store eat a full sized market shrimp and riped up all the fake plants and pulled the leaves off of a huge amazon sword that was in the tank...... hokese dont tuant people plz.........
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 08:19Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yeah i know i shouldnt,but people have to take things with a grain of salt,if you know what i mean!
all poor sneaky done was ask a simple question,witch i answered from my experience,then he got bombed with all this talk about them being a hybrid and so forth.
as i say,EACH TO THERE OWN,just beacuse other members dont like hybrids,dosent mean they should earbash other members for liking them/keeping them.
the word hybid isnt even in his first post,but he still copped it for having a parrot.
anyway thats what i think......
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 13:34Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
OK, like usual on this subject, those involved just don't know when to stop.

Thread is closed

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 14:13Profile PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies