L# Help me with Discus
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHelp me with Discus
Meer
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 0
Hi, I am just thinking to make some 100g aquarium for discus. I need help as I want to plant my tank and dont really know that which plants will be the best and If I want to breed my fish what measures should I make. I am also planning to add some neon tetras, what do you think should I add them or I should think of some other options...
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 11:14Profile PM Edit Report 
Fish Guy
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1254
Votes: 2
male canada
Pretty much any plants can go in with Discus, the only plant I would suggest is some Amazon Swords. If you want to breed them all you have to do is when you are buying your discus buy 7-8 Juvies and once you see a pair form you can take that pair out and put them in a bare bottom tank to breed. Going with neons is a great idea, you can also go with some cardnial tetras and maye a 4 Blue Rams.
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
Meer,

Typically discus are maintained in waters that are 82F to 86F (27.8C to 30C). This temperature range is most conducive to maintaining discus but least conducive to raising plants. Only those plants that can survive at that temperature should be considered for your tank.

Some suggestions are: echinodorus (the plant family that Fish Guy referred to in his post), anubias, ammania, hygrophila and ceratopteris. Not all of the plants in these families are good choices nor are they readily available in your LFS.

The following is a link to a great article in two parts at the Tropica website. The piece is nicely written and encompasses thoughts on compatible fish.

Article

If you go to the link, you must type discus into the Search box to find the discus article.

Post InfoPosted 19-May-2006 15:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Meer
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 10
Votes: 0
Thank you very much Mr.Bob and the fish guy the information you provided should be enough for my breeding plan. And if in need some help I hope that you wont mind If I ask.....
Post InfoPosted 20-May-2006 22:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies