AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# Hey guys wats up? Beach sand quiz :)
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHey guys wats up? Beach sand quiz :)
Michelo_69
-----
Fingerling
male australia
Hey my fellow fish fanatics, long time no see lol, ive been living in indonesia the fish over there are absolutely amazing ponds with HUGE bala sharks and koi, anyways good to be back in the land downunder... So i was wandering about getting beach sand for my central american fish tank will this make the tank too alkaline? if so wat would you guys reccomend to use?

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 10:18Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
If you must use beach sand I doubt if you could find many beaches in Aust that would not have one type of pollution or another. The only beaches I could think of would be in the unpopulated parts of northern WA and at the top end of Aust.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 11:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Michelo_69
-----
Fingerling
male australia
lol lucky for me i live up north in broome ive used all things ive found in the billabongs around, such as driftwood thats like $300 in my lfs ridiculous isnt it?

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 30-Apr-2009 11:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Its also illegal now i believe...not something id reccomend. Push the pH too high for americans anyway.
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 21:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
You can buy it at the hardware shop, so it is available even without colection permits etc (and those are state based so no idea what the QLD rules are).

I've not tried it as a cichlid substrate, but I do use it in my 4'tropical community and my SW tank, and it seems fairly inert. I'm sure it bumps the pH up a little, but nowhere near what a cichlid substrate would. That being said, it depends on what sand you use and from what beach. I'm using sydney beach sand, which is likely to be vastly different from what you'll be able to get.

Maybe test it in a bucket for a month, see what sort of increase you get?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 04:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Im very curious to what Cichlid Substrate is
Post InfoPosted 04-May-2009 19:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies