Sean
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
male usa
EditedEdited by sean
Hey all-

I have had this fish for years, got him and his siblings since he was a fry. he has since ended the life of his tank mates, and lives alone. the "Big Guy" is about 6" currently, and i was told when i bought them that they were texas cichlids, but I'm not so sure. What do you think...

http://www.semdi.com/photos/fish/Bigguy.jpg

www.semdi.com
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2008 03:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
it a trimec cichlid they are really mean and they get big but really really really mean.
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2008 06:34Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Dangerous Dave
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 179
Votes: 3
male australia
Either a trimac or a flowerhorn
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2008 11:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
yea well most FH dont have tear drops..... and if it is tolersting any other fish its a trimec i have seen a FH tear up a fish more then 2 times its size but u might have gtten lucky and got a nice one. but like i said before a trimec.........
Post InfoPosted 26-Oct-2008 14:33Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 26-Oct-2008 14:33
This post has been deleted
Sean
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 1
Votes: 1
male usa
After researching all the pictures I could find of Trimacs and flowerhorns, I have come to the conclusion due to its specific markings, that I have a Trimac, and a mean one at that. he lives alone, by choice, he seems to kill everything and anything in his tank.

Thanks y'all

www.semdi.com
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2008 03:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
yea they do that theres only a few fish that can defend its self aginst this fish like midas, red devil, dovii, and FH.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2008 09:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
mmm,i rekon its a trimac x flowerhorn,i had both fish many times,males and females,and the markings dont look right to me,its like hes got a bit of both in him,also that would explane his temper,and trimacs and flowerhorns readly spawn,there both very nasty,great parents,hardy fish,so basicly they are compatable.anyway just my 2 cents worth!oh yeah and theres not a chance in hell that he is a texas,not even close....
what size tank is this fella in,i noticed you called him big fella at only 6',depending what size tank you have him in,he still has some growing to do yet,trimac dont quite get as big as flowerhorn IMO,but id still say hes not full grown yet...
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2008 05:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
How would it being a flowerhorn explain the temper?
Trimacs are a mean fish in their own right, capable of killing most things the same size or smaller.
Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2008 03:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
DER,flowerhorns are way more nasty IMO,FOR THOSE THAT ARE SLOW ILL SAY IT AGAIN,ive kept both many times over,and IMO,flowerhorns are way more nasty than trimac,all the trimacs,ive kept,i kept with other fish,the trimacs did tyraniz the other fish a bit,but they did not try to kill them outright,and if you red the above post AGAIN,IT SAYS HE KILLED EVERTHING IN THE TANK,AND IS NOW BY HIMSELF,to me,that sound more like typical flowerhorn,rather than trimac.ill tell ya what mez,jeez you must have a boring life
go take some more photos of cane toads
Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2008 05:27Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
ACIDRAIN

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 1381
Votes: 416
male usa us-ohio
I agree with Mez. Temperment is not a classification statistic for any species of fish. And as far as their temperment goes, I tried a long time ago to breed trimacs and was not successful. Why?, because the dominant male killed the other 6 females and males, and killed the LARGER spawning pair of Dovi that were priorly established already in the same 300 gal tank. Hmm... IMO this sounds exactly like what Sean has described in the start of this thread. As for the numbers of the spots on them, well many of the wild caught trimacs have more than the 3 "normal" spots on each side. Of my 7 that were all wild caught, only 3 had the "standard" three spots on each side, and one had the standard three spots on one side and 5 on the other. The rest all had 4 to 5 spots on each side.

Now, as for the flowerhorns, and their temperment, and everything else about them, well I cannot comment on most anything about them. As I don't care to learn about human made hybrids, nor keep them, nor contribute to their being at all, and despise the fact that they have been introduced into the hobby. Unless purely for scientific research, and not introduced into my hobby. The whole idea of somebody's way of making money off of people by corrupting my clean and pure hobby, just completely sends me over the edge. And I have no further comment more than this. So don't ask.

There is always a bigger fish...
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2008 19:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
whoo who,damn flowerhorns make people angry,and i didnt ask,you posted,im just replying,well each to there own,and plus each experence is different,you had trouble with em,me on the other hand,i breed trimacs and flowerhorns with ease,at first it was hard,but now,honestly i have no trouble with em,as i said,the trimacs ive had,ive bred em,kept em with other cichlids no probs,just the way he got the fish with other fry,then he killed em,to me thats sounds like typical flowerhorns....timebombsalso why did YOU let the big male kill 6 females,any agressive cichlid keeper should be prepaired,i would have had a divider ready to slip in,thats why he killed your 6 females.some i breed throo my divider others i dont have too
Post InfoPosted 06-Nov-2008 05:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
You need to take a reality check.
2 large Cichlids fighting with the aggression that they have, one could be dead in 5 minutes or less...this could happen at any time.
Id love to see some photos of the breeding pairs of Cichlids you have and the reared fry, maybe Marc will learn something as i think he is quite new to this Cichlid game
I think you should learn to respect those who have had more experience than you and are trying to share this with you to help you learn. Only when you admit you dont know everything can you really start to learn and take things in.
Good luck, that will be my last post on this thread.
Mez
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 07:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
hey im all for that too,its the smart arse way youse both said that i was wrong,i said i was talking about my personal experences,and this was my opinion,witch dosent mean wrong or rite,anyway im done gettin in the mud with YOU!take your own advice
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2008 08:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies