L# In need of despret help!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeIn need of despret help!
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
male canada ca-ontario
Ok. I have a 30 gallon long tank with 1 male and 1 female mbuna. Everything had been going fine until my male started getting extremely aggresive. Hes constantly harrasing my female and shes covered in cuts and scrapes. I've even noticed him biting at her eyes! So im wondering what I could do to lower aggresion betwenn the two. Any help would be appreciated!
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2010 20:54Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Can you be a bit more specific on which mbuna species you have? There are many.
At a guess I would say more females are required to take the pressure off the one you have. Since we dont know what species you have we cant help much further until you get back to us.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2010 21:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
quickest sollution, drop in a divider to break them up. future sollution you need 8 or so fish in the tank so targets get lost. MBuna are not pair fish they live is large groups. they arnt really schools but there are thousands of fish in a small amoutn of area.

mbuna fight for alot of reasons. dominant fish get the best food - mates - and most area. 30g is really to small for mbuna they really need a 4ft tank. keep it a single species and add alot of clay pots cut in half to create a ton of hiding spots.

better information can be given knowing which species. some species like demasoni will not work at all ever in that tank. they need 20+ fish of the same species to have any hope.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 02:58Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 13-Jan-2010 05:35
cichlids are temperamental and territorial, they probably need their own space. if you were trying to breed them then i'd say get a harem of females for the male, but even so they need a bigger tank. Best option is divide them and create two small smaller homes out of the tank you have.

also, not to be the spelling police but, its spelled * Desperate *

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 05:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
OK.... I do have alot of hiding spots and the male has made more himseld (as in, digging holes underneath stuff) as to what species, I have no clue. My LFS had them marked by the term "assorted mbuna". They told me they wont get bigger then 6" though. I really dont want to be foreced to put the divider in because ill have to uproot my plants. So you think I should get more females?
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 12:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
can you post pics or describe the fish? colors? stripes?

in any case as it stand what you have wont work. you need more fish. mbuna have this thing about killing each other so you need allot so they lose targets in the mix.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 20:23Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
if you dont / cant post a picture- could you go threw the profiles and see if you can ID....

Also a description would greatly help.

For the mean time, please put in a divider.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 20:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I'd rather lose a couple of $'s worth of plants to save my fish. If you get more females you need to be looking at getting a larger tank for them in the very near future. At present there isnt enough space for them to have territories.
Search through the profiles, http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/freshwater/Cichlids/ see if yours are there. Go check in the lfs if they still have those mbuna there and ask them what they are. A good lfs will know.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 23:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
The female maybe.... Labeotropheus trewavasae i think.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
and the male is Pseudotropheus lombardoi i beleive
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 23:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidl0ver
Fingerling
male canada ca-ontario
not sure about the female though.... she's darker then the ne in the picture, as in saying a dark blue but her body is identical to the picture and she isnt aggresive like the profile says.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2010 23:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 13-Jan-2010 23:36
This post has been deleted
Sir Syklyd

-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
male micronesia
EditedEdited 02-Jul-2010 05:51
Someone should go to that LFS -- Local Fish Store -- and smack that employee in the head. Shame on him/her for selling you one male and one female like that. The general ratio for a lot of cichlids -- particularly African cichlids -- is to have at least four females per male. As others here have stated, it helps to disperse the male's natural aggression.

Be warned though, that if tank conditions are right, that is in essence a baby factory. You don't have to do anything. Just sit back and watch! My oldest female mbuna spawned for the 11th time yesterday.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jul-2010 05:51Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies