Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOur Kribensis have layed eggs
Finn
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
Votes: 0
female australia
Came home tonight to find the male being very agressive towards the other fish and the cave area has been excavated to their liking.

The female has layed the eggs and will see what happens - our first breeding pair!!

Must be doing something right.
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 12:16Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Wow that was fast. Doesn't seem like you have had them that long. Good luck with them and keep us updated as I have juvi kribs who might onday get old enough to breed.
Thats if they don't eat me out of house and home first.
By gee kribs like their food don't they?
Post InfoPosted 04-Apr-2008 14:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Finn
-----
Fingerling
female australia
Yeah very fast - we have only had the male for a few weeks.

We have 4 in the tank - the original female and then 2 males and another female.

The pair is the large male and the original female - the others are still there - they might end up pairing as they are still young.

They are very interesting fish that's for sure - fingers crossed something happens!!

Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 02:37Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Well done and good luck with them. Looks like you picked the correct time to add the male and they were both ready.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2008 02:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Finn
-----
Fingerling
female australia
EditedEdited by Finn
Well we woke up this morning and found all our eggs have gone!!
We think we know who did it - the male flavus is being very defensive of the whole tank now.
Have to rethink everything now - we can't move the kribs out into the 18" tank as we have no heater at present - it broke.

Do you think that Flavus - (they are around 5cm) would be OK in the big tank with:
1 x female oscar 9cm
5 x Maingano - 4 x 8cm and 1 x 5cm
1 x Blue Peacock x 10cm
3 x Electric Yellow - 2 x male x 10cm 1 x female x 8cm
2 x Venustus - 5cm
1 x Chitumba Bay Gold - 7cm
2 x Red Empress - 1 x male 1 x female - around 7-8cm

Very unimpressed this morning to have lost the eggs after getting them settled.
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2008 01:10Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
There are alot of "preditors" in that tank & the Kribs are quite peaceful, compaired with some of the other fish you've got.

I would move them to another tank, by themselves & try to breed them there. It would be quite interesting, watching the fry with the parents.

Good luck for the next time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2008 09:22Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Finn
-----
Fingerling
female australia
The kribs are in a tank with tetras (which am trying to get rid of), a gourami and the flavus - I want to move the flavus out and leave the kribs in that tanks as they are happy in there.

If I had a heater in our little tank would move them into that but would prefer to leave them where they are if they are breeding.
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2008 09:25Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
waldena
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 80
Votes: 71
male uk
If you want most of the fry to survive, then I would move your pair of kribs to another tank. However, just a couple of things to be aware of (from my experience):
1) Once they start breeding, they are pretty regular at it. They can quite comfortably produce around 30-40 fry at a time, and the next batch will be along well before the last one are at a size that a LFS would be willing to take them from you. You could quite soon find yourself with lots of fish and not much tank space.

2) If you do separate the kribs on their own, their aggression brought about by an urge to protect their young can overspill and end up with them turning on each other. I have got a breeding pair in a tank on their own and the female has just turned against the male. I came home from work to find the male had taken a real beating. There had been no warning (if anything I had worried for the female before), and I'm pretty sure that if I'd been away for a weekend I would have come home to a dead male. Just keep a close eye on them and be prepared to evacuate one of the pair. I don't know how easy it is to reintroduce a pair if you have to separate them until the fry grow up a bit - I'm yet to reach that point, but I'll let you know how it goes!

Good luck with the kribs and their offspring though, I've found it to be a great experience. I love watching the parents taking the babies for a swim around the tank.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2008 16:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
try leaving the lights on so the pair can guard their eggs... and iff not and you decide to separate the pair make sure the second tank has LOTS of hiding space... caves, plants, driftwood, rocks to the max!

never bred them myself, but it seems like those are those only options... it was most likely the tetras eating the eggs as well... they are notorious!!!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2008 22:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Finn
-----
Fingerling
female australia
Well after lossing the last lot of eggs and then lossing the pair of Kribs we got another pair a few weeks ago and now have little fry swimming around the tank.
Boy are they agressive towards the little cory and the gourami but we still have a heap of them left.
Checked the tank on Saturday morning and was trying to work out what the brown mass was to discover the tiny things were baby kribs!
The fun will start when we have to catch them and move the fry into another tank!!! /:'
Post InfoPosted 28-May-2008 08:35Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies