Votes: 0
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2008 19:50Profile PM Edit Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
Do all frontosas have that much blue in them?
Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2008 22:04Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
WOW! -> http://s441.photobucket.com/albums/qq133/cichlidgirl/?action=view&current=frontsin265001.jpg

That first fish is great! I hope to have one of those some day... time to read up.

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2008 18:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Very Awsome, Whats size tank you got?
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2008 21:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
very nice,well done,its obvious looking from the pics that you look after them well,also love the saying "he rules the tank with a iron fin"good one!
Post InfoPosted 20-Dec-2008 06:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidgirl
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Sorry for late reply, been so busy with holidays and all.

Well, no , not all frontosa are as blue. The bluest ones are usually the zaire types (there are several), followed by the tanzanian and zambians (often nearly as blue and called poor mans zaire) the least blue are the burundi and kigoma (kigoma have a extra black stripe) but they tend to make up for the lacking blue color with a much larger nuchal hump than their bluer brothers and sisters.

I keep both the tanzanian and burundi. I believe the fish everybody liked that was so blue was one of my tanzanians, there are several types of tanzanians, mine are all mpimbwe. Mpimbwe is just the collection point. That particular fish is much bluer than what is normal, he has more blue spangles on him and his shade of blue is very intense. I have one or two others that are similar but he (im guessing he LOL) is a real standout fish for sure.

The substrate and lighting and background will make a huge difference in the appearance of these fish as well. I like mine on black sand and black background with a mix of regular white aquarium lights and marine glo bulbs. Marine glo bulbs have alot more light in the blue spectrums and if mixed in a double bulbed light strip look real good. I dont like running all marine glo bulbs though, i feel it washes out the rest of the tank and gives a false impression of the colors on the fish. Mixing does not do that, they balance each other.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2008 11:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cichlidgirl
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
EditedEdited by cichlidgirl
Oh, and i have two tanks for my frontosa, one is a six foot 135 gallon and the other (for future when fish get very large) is a 7 foot 265 gallon tank. Frontosa live in a harem (one or two males and many females), they get quite large as adults (often over 12 inches for males and females both)and so need more tankspace than other species.

Frontosa also are best kept with other frontosa, they can be aggressive to each other but are so wimpy around other species. I was suprised at just how wimpy they really are after keeping them alone, i thought they were semi aggressive to aggressive, i added in some other peaceful african haps and they kicked the frontosa butt all day long. I had to remove them.
Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2008 11:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Very good pictures cichlidgirl. Their colours are superb & they look quite photogenic as well.

A friend of mine used to keep Frontosas & he had some N.brichardi with them. Both species spawned & lived quite well together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 30-Dec-2008 11:25Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies