L# Cichlid Central
  L# The Best Fish
SubscribeThe Best Fish
jgillece
-----
Banned
Kudos: 20
male usa
Hello all, I just had a pretty big gold severum die on me lastnight, he was pretty big and meaty, so, my roommate had the idea, he is a fish, and we do eat seafood often.. anyway, we fileted it like any catfish or salmon. so I got the idea... why dont I start raising fish to eat them, any ideas of good meaty fish to eat? that are easy to raise?
Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2006 23:59Profile PM Edit Report 
zcilahim
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 1
male canada
Did you actually eat the fish? To me that sounds kind of gross.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 00:12Profile PM Edit Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
Ummmmm wow, I really don't know what to say My sev is quite large as well...he hand-feeds, watches the tv if I'm sitting on the couch watching...he's like a pet and doing that would be like a person eating their cat or dog. I know, that's done in some places...I just can't get past the thought of eating my own pet

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 00:28Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Jason_R_S

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 2421
Votes: 391
male usa us-indiana
the "eating your pet" aspect aside, I've heard it's dangerous to eat fish that have been fed commercially prepared fish foods. not to mention all the meds that one typically uses throughout the course of a fish's lifetime. those chemicals and foods aren't exactly "human safe".
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 00:31Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Tanya81
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 419
Votes: 37
female usa
hmmm, taste like chicken? But aside from that, meds can be a huge factor if you used them on your severum!

72 gallon bowfront:Tanganyikan Lake set up
75 gallon: A. Baenschi trio,Cyanotilapia Afra Cobwe(4), copadichromis trewavase, protomelas sp. tangerine tiger(breeding pair)
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 00:35Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
I have a site that says that Rio Grane (Texas) Cichlids are good table fare: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/cichlid/

I must say though......

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2006 00:44Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
DeletedPosted 15-Feb-2006 23:04
This post has been deleted
DeletedPosted 15-Feb-2006 23:10
This post has been deleted
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
eating a not killed fish is very dangerous, it is one thing to be healthy and than being killed, and being "fresh" but it is another thing to have a fish that died from an ilness, and eat them.

i also am not so sure about this, as it is the first time i heard of this, and it is kinda an unusualy request, and i wouldn't really suggest anything.
Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2006 01:15Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
While it does seem to be the ultimate logic in dealing with a fish corpse I have to say i'd have a little trouble actually preparing and eating a fish I had nurtured. Fortunately I have turtles who are most grateful for any corpses that come their way, even then it can be quite disconcerting to hear the bones of a previously much loved fish being crunched up through the water. Turtles can usually eat even rancid fish ,and arent susceptible to fish diseases, so at least im not giving them a poorly tummy, the same could not be said if I ate the fish myself.
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2006 10:37Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
gnr4ever8794
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 222
Votes: 24
male usa
I've read somewhere that one of the main reasons you shouldn't release a home kept fish is that, if you used meds on the fish, and someone brings that fish home and eats it, it's liable to cause cancer and other health problems. You're better off going fishing. I also don't think with the cost of getting a decent amount of fish and feeding them and such would be any cheaper than going to the grocery store.
Post InfoPosted 17-Feb-2006 19:12Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Report 
funnyfish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 120
Votes: 20
female usa
no affence but EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW that is gross to eat your already daed fish that was sick. what if you got sick from it you could of diead or something not to metion all the health problems you could of goten from it. the first thing that came out of my mouth was "oh my goodness what was that person thinkingg"
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2006 00:46Profile PM Edit Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
The first thing that caught my eye was that this person actually filleyed it..... let alone thought about eating it??!!

I agree about the whole just going fishing.... because from someone who's grown up with lakes all around, I can tell you catching the fish and going on the lake with the boat is like 90% of the fun!!!
Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2006 03:25Profile PM Edit Report 
Mole
----------
Enthusiast
male newzealand
the grossness and cruelty aside

that's like, eating somebody who died of cancer. you don't do it. i suppose if it was alive and you killed it, it might be ok, but really..it died for a reason.

www.zopilotemachine.com
Post InfoPosted 19-Feb-2006 07:52Profile PM Edit Report 
jgillece
-----
Banned
Kudos: 20
male usa
just wanted to update... i am fine, and have since bought a 2 blood parrots that im beefing up.. trying not too use any meds if i dont have to
Post InfoPosted 20-Feb-2006 20:05Profile PM Edit Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
You're new round here, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2006 03:47Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I'd suggest tilapia, but you'd need a really, really big tank... wouldn't it be easier (and safer, and cheaper, and more fun) to get yourself a fishing liscence, rod and tackle, and go fishing?

><>
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 22:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
So how did it taste?
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 23:33Profile PM Edit Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
Ummm, I think I remember reading about your fish eating experiences on another thread recently, BORING!!!

Perhaps you could think of a topic that would be a lot more interesting and informative.

Have a nice day.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2006 02:27Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
further comments can be made in http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/28345.1.htm?40#

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2006 09:15Profile PM Edit Report 
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies