Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeToo much slime coat?
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Can there be too much slime on your fish? I have noticed for the past week or two, that my male angel in the 40 gal has so much slime it's visible. It's usually on his right side and I can see air bubbles in it. Once he starts moving about you can see it slowly separate and slide off. I can watch it float about the tank for a little while before it dissipates. Is this normal? As far as I can tell the female angel doesn't have so much in the morning or at the evening feedings. These 2 are the only 2 in the tank, with the exception of pond snails and MTS.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2009 13:51Profile PM Edit Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
test the water. might be something irritating like high nitrates. could be water changes also. make sure to dechlor or let sit for 24 hrs so no chlorine.

worse case I would be concerned of some form of parasite. slime coat is a defense and if its getting thick then there is some form of irritant. salt is often use to promote slime coat as this irritates the skin so it produces more. If your not using salt or nothing else appear out of place I would look hard for parasites.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jul-2009 21:33Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Thanks, I will look for parasites. The female doesn't have this problem at all.

I did just test my water and noticed that I had a small spike in ammonia --> .25 I think it's the frickin' pond snails. I've noticed they've tripled in numbers. (it seems like over night.) I never see any of the MTS. I did realize that I can only feed this tank a small pinch at a time, since I have 2 HOB and a strong bubbler. The food is pushed down by the HOB filters faster then the Angels can get to it. So the snails were getting more food than the fish. (Poor things was always looking up top for food while it was twirling below them.)

I've started treating my 55 gal to the abundance of pond snails from this 40 gal. My Yo-yo's are loving it. Even the Black Ruby barbs have a go when I drop them in.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2009 05:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
put your filtration on a powerstrip and shut them down when feeding. this will stop the filters from eating more food then the fish

can also use a floating pellet for the angel if this isnt an option.

the spike in ammonia is more then likely your issue.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2009 15:37Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies