AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Cichlid Central
  L# how to deal with a population boom?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribehow to deal with a population boom?
Michelo_69
-----
Fingerling
male australia
hi i have a 6' by 2' tank with 3 discus and ALOT of guppies due to a recent explosion in there numbers, i was wondering what fish i could get that would keep guppy numbers under control but won't cause any harm to my discus or my adult guppies

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2010 11:02Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
not so sure about the discus as I have never kept them, .....
but angel fish and gouramis are great at keeping the guppy population in check.....you wont see fry at all unless you have great hiding spots
Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2010 20:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Agnes
Small Fry
Kudos: 11
Votes: 1
female canada ca-alberta
EditedEdited 06-Aug-2010 00:52
Hi there: Angelfish will quickly put a big dent in the population of your guppies. The adult guppies are too big for the angelfish so they will not even bother with them. Sounds like you have more than enough room in your fish tank to accomadate angelfish or have you maybe considered getting a few more discus to control this problem????? What are you feeding your discus that they are not eating the baby guppies???? At one time my husband and I had discus and we had swordfish in with them and it didn't matter how many baby fry were in the tank with them because they would eat them as fast as the swordfish had them. We had five discus in the tank with six swordfish and if you can imagine just one swordfish can have up to two hundred fry. That's alot of live food but not one baby ever survived the five discus. This is way I'm asking you what else are you feeding your discus??????
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2010 00:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Michelo_69
-----
Fingerling
male australia
i feed my discus bloodworms, brine shrimp and just your typical flakes, they never seem to even take an interest in the guppies really.... that is the whole reason why i got the guppies so my discus could have all the live food they want

Cheers
Post InfoPosted 06-Aug-2010 04:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Xandra
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
I have a F and M Black Convict, they spawn and raise fry regularly. In the last batch I see a pink colour fry, now .5" long. Anyone know about this. I have read about pink convicts but thought they were from 'Pink' parents, ie a species of their own.

The F and M Black Convict I have are very strongly coloured, black vertical stripes, the F has vivid orange scales along underbelly and base of dorsal.

XAndra
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2014 12:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
A school of larger tetras like black skirt tetras would love hunting down all the guppy fry.
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2014 17:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Xandra, this probably should have been a new topic, but to answer your question, pink convicts are not another species but a genetic variation. Your black convicts may carry the gene. It is surprising you only have one pink one out of all the fry you've had, so it is probably a mutation (or some of your fry matured carrying the gene from one parent that was for the pink color and bred with each other). With recessive traits (and I'm not sure if pink convicts are recessive or not, you'd expect to see 1/4 of offspring expressing it if neither parent does.

><>
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2014 10:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies