L# Fish swimming under waterfall
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFish swimming under waterfall
appleshoe
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 09-Jun-2010 13:26
Hello, I'm back with more questions. We got our waterfall up and running (Picture http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uoJC8Irb_Mg/TA9WDXzTxMI/AAAAAAAAA4M/jmhM44CZFyU/s1600/pond2.jpg)we decided to go with comets they are about 2.5 to 3 inches long right now. We bought 4 and put them in the pond after it had been running a few weeks. There are dwarf water lilies, spider lilies, and anacharis in the pond. My Question is, the comets keep swimming under the waterfall and try to jump up the waterfall (they are fine in other areas of the pond). Almost like they are in the wild and trying to swim upstream. Is this normal in a pond? Should I worry? Should I put some netting up so they can't jump out? I'm also worried that their little bodies are going to get battered under the fall... This is my first pond, I've had fish in the past indoors. Thank you.]
Post InfoPosted 09-Jun-2010 13:00Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Goldies in general like fast moving water, so you're right about them acting like they're jumping upstream. I'd be worried about them jumping out, but unless you use a fine mesh like that found in fish nets they may be more likely to get their fins tangled up in it. Of course some bird netting might be necessary anyway to keep them from becoming lunch even with the plant cover you've given them.

If there are calmer areas away from the falls they'll go to those spots when they need a rest. I figure they're just being like kids in a sprinkler. The water from the falls is providing all sorts of oxygenation which goldfish like.

I forget did you ever get a filter put in the pond? Hanging out by the falls may be a sign of poor water quality/circulation.

Do you have ammonia nitrIte and nitrAte readings for the pond?

Nice veggie patch btw .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2010 05:06Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
appleshoe
Small Fry
Kudos: 8
Votes: 0
Hello Babelfish- I like your analogy of kids play in a sprinkler. This describes how they look and act perfectly. There is a filter; the fish would never have gone in without it. The pond was set up with the filter running and plants in for a few weeks before we put the fish in. I even put two gallons of water from my guppy aquarium in hoping that it would help establish the pond. They only jump for about a minute or two before swimming away. They like to rest under and in the spider lily and dwarf water lilies. They also don't come up to the surface much unless it's for food. I'm guessing that means they are getting enough oxygen or they would be gasping at the top. Let’s see, what else. Oh I've only had them since Sunday, so they are still getting used to their surroundings. I'm just a little worried that they might get hurt/jump out. Thanks for the compliment on my garden. I figured since this is the first year I wanted to have some quick growing BIG plants, so I put my acorn squash and pumpkins in the garden. They have big leaves and will look good in a water garden area once they are bigger. I also have some strawberries and chives. The rest of the flowers are Hydrangeas, foxglove, three different colors of delphinium, Blue star Willow Amsonia, Bachelor buttons, daisies, and a few other things. It's supposed to be blue and white, but my blue Hydrangeas I bought are blooming red I'll try to get some aluminum sulfate in and see what happens next year. Anyway. The comets seem to be doing fine. Thanks for the analogy; I'll try not to be such a worry wort. Sorry for the ramble. Take care.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jun-2010 11:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Yep sounds to me like the goldies are just being goldies!

Now that I think of it the squashes might offer some protection to the pond, especially if they're allowed to grow closer to the pond. Birds would be less likely to like the idea of sitting on the pond edge waiting for a bite !

Yep, I remember my mom telling me something about adding something to the soil to change teh color of hydrangeas but of course I didn't remember just be careful around the pond, don't want any runoff happening.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2010 03:29Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies