Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGreen Water
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
Votes: 1
male uk
i have fish pond i wouldn't like to say how many gallons it is, but there is a quite alot with some koi and gold fish, and well the water always green we have to cover the pond but it ruins the look of pond so anyone got any idea of how to clean it up.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2007 20:37Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Sounds like some excess nutrients in the water, do you have any plants?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 01:06Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
no plants... we told koi wont like plants in pond, don't know if that true
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2007 08:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Hmm I don't know if that's true or not, but if I think of all the koi ponds I've seen I've seen them with plants. Usually some type of lillies or rush plants.

Unfortunatly our koi expert koi keeper has been away on family matters for a long time

^_^

Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 09:43Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Look for marginal plants, ones that like to have their feet wet but aren't meant to be fully underwater. Often they'll come in aquatic-safe potting mix, but do check beforehand.
You can set them up on stacks of bricks or an upturned terracotta pot, depending on your liner etc. With just their roots in the water they can suck out the nutrients without upsetting the koi

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 13:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
freejoe

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 227
Votes: 756
male canada ca-alberta
I had the same problem with my green water in my pond, I added some hornwort and some duck weed and it is now crystal clear. the goldfish don't bother the hornwort but they do eat the duck weed

The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an bacon and egg breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 17:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cool_pete
-----
Fingerling
male uk
thank for all the advise, just got convince every one else that good idea
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 21:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Ah that's easy, just hand them two glasses of water, one from the pond one that's clear and ask them which one they'd like to have for the rest of their lives

Good luck

Side note, good to know any goldfish I get will have a munch on the duckweed. We got a tiny bit for the silver dollars, and, well, it's grown like a weed.....

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Jul-2007 14:53Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies