L# brandeeno's long awaited container pond/tub :D
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribebrandeeno's long awaited container pond/tub :D
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
OK guys, well today I finally got my container pond set up! i used a brand new thirty gallon plastic crate/tub from lowes. It fit almost perfectly into an old wicker chest my mom was throwig away. TRASH TO TREASURE: i tore out the bottom of the chest and set it up on bricks in a planter. I then put the tub in and leveled it out with a small block of wood, its not perfect, but eh!

I then took aged water from another tub i was just dumping excess hornwort, duckweed, and etc in. that was about half of the water the other half was from the hose. I let it settle a few hours then took out my paradise pair. they are going to have protection at night by the lid of the chest (and a cinder block to hold it down from the pesky raccoons). there will also be so glass jars in there for caves and hiding (probably gonna throw a plec or two in there later) and i also have soem nymphaea in there...

nice thing is they started out with a healthy food supply from the mosquito larvae and hopefully i see soem spawning soon! i am going to be throwing in a few more plants and some hardscape for hiding and etc soon, but until then its tough pickins.

anyone have advice for me with the fish/tub? i tried to folllow slightly what wingsdlc and ACIDRAIN did with their tubs/container ponds. definatlet more plants coming!

and pics will be coming shortly as well as soon as i get my hands on a camera!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2008 01:51Profile PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Brandeeno,

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your tub. They are a ton of fun and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Here are a couple of tub links for you to check out if you are interested.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/June-2008/Magazine/Urban-Pond-Tubbin-Water-Gardens.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ponds/69436-balcony-pond-pot.html

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 14:22Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
ah thanks alot wings! i will look into them!

well i left my tub alone for the most part until a few days ago i oullback most of the duckweed and hornwort on the surface to find little squigglies!
so it turns out in my time of not caring for the tub at all ( i didnt even cycle it or condition the water) the paradise pair spawned and the fry are looking good, still very small though. I was wondering if anyone had advice on if i should feed the fry some hikari first bites or just allow them the freedom to graze on whatever may be cultivating in the tub itself?

thanks!

still pics to come camera is hard to pin down ATM. only camera available is in hawaii with my parents.

Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2008 02:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Brandeeno,

Sounds like your tub is off to a pretty good start. I am being over run with fry from my tub at the moment. To dig into your question a little bit here is my take on the situation. When I first added my paradise fish I had a ton and a half of mosquito larva in the tub so I didn't fed them at all for the first few weeks. At this point in time I have been feeds small amounts of crushed flakes and graduals for a while not. I have only changed the water in the tub a couple of times so I want to keep the waste load low. I have also given the tub a few drops of liquid fry food now and then. I am not overly sure how much that really helps or not. My personal opinion is that there is probably a large amount of natural food culturing in the tub to feed the very small fry. As they get bigger I think there will be a larger amount of competition for food so I am doing the supplements pretty much everyday.

I can't wait to see pictures and congrats on the babies!!

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 30-Jul-2008 23:44Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Thanks Wings!

I didnt expect them to be so prolific, but i am not complaining. I will start to supplement food, but i also have a stagnant fountain to dump some of the later developed fry into with lots of live foods cultured up!

I also have lots of duckweed and hornwort to keept the waste load down as well as a couple dwarf lily plants and soon a standard lily as soon as it roots and grows some leaves.

I also might put snother species of fish in there to keep the fry population down a bit. I am also planning to build a bigger pond and put the fry, parents and some rainbow fish in it (its at my sister's house so plans are slightly delayed).

Post InfoPosted 03-Aug-2008 06:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
wow! congrats on the fry!

I'm also looking forward to the pics, cant you just dash over to HI for a bit and ask to borrow the camera

Be sure to get a shot of the chest for around the tub, I think it's great you were able to reuse, I wanna see the effect .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 05-Aug-2008 07:20Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies