Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBaby zebra danios!
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 24
Votes: 1
male trinidad-tobago
Just when I was about to throw away the water, I spotted these minute swimming bodies.. I was successful in getting my zebra danios to breed.. I think the hatchlings are 1 day old.. Anyone care to give me some tips on caring please...

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2008 23:31Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I had some of them when I was cycling the 45 lt tank and they actually breed. I did not alter any of the feeding and most of them survived. If you have any good quality flake food just break it up extremely fine and that should be OK. Your LFS should also have a selection of fry food.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2008 03:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Suddenly my fry tank went from teeming with life to only 5 I was able to count today... I wonder why?

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2008 22:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Congrats!

They're possibly getting eaten if they're still in the tank with the other fish.

If you have thin leaved plants like java moss they may be able to hide, I worry that the parents will be able to get in there though. Best option may be to have them in their own tank running just a sponge filter on a very low setting.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2008 01:34Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
Hey there... I had about 300 fry in their own separate tank and feeding them fry food and also doing regular water changes.. All died within a space of 7 days.. Dont know why...

It just seem like all my danios are such a weak batch.. The adults hardly live for more than a few months and this fish dealer is the biggest in my country and everyone goes to him.. I just think his danios arent the strongest.. They all die.. Im actually thinking of totally doing away with zebra danios..

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 01:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Uggg, danios shouldn't be dying in a few months time, not if you're getting them as juvies.

Sorry you lost the fry, but that does sound like unhealthy over bread fish to me.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 03:52Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Is that the only supplier who you can get them from? I would agree with Babel they could originally be from very poor in breed stock. I would also mention it to the LFS where you buy them and see what they have to say.
They are usually a very tough little fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2008 07:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
EditedEdited by stealth114
I agree with you guys totally.. I have got into fish since last year and I never had a zebra danio that lasted more than 3 months and I have had over a few dozens being replaced all the time. I had resolved to never get any more danios if the last 6 I have die soon.

.. And the neon ones arent cheap either... I have always assumed them to be very short lived but when I did my research online I realise how hardy they are..

The local fish dealer, they have tonnes of zebra danios in their tanks and I think they are over breeding them....

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2008 00:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
IM elimininating all my zebra danios once and for all once the few I have are gone.. thats it!

Any suggestions for a good replacement???

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2008 00:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
doing regular water changes

This could be a clue have you tested your water supply?
Do you treat the water before it goes into the tank?
Filtration what type and when & how do you clean it.
Substrate type, size, & do you do a deep cleaning?
When was the last time you had a full water parameters done?
I would get this problem solved first before I would even start thinking about other fish

If you cannot keep Danios there is no way you could keep neons, as in my opinion they are not worth the money they seem to have too many problems that is the reason why I only have the Cardinals

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2008 04:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
How often were you doing water changes? With a few hundred fish and trying to feed enough for all of those mouths to eat, you shouldn't be surprised if the water gets much worse than in your normal community aquarium. Some breeders will do water changes everyday, and some will do water changes multiple times a day! The amount of food and waste in a breeding tank necessitates a strict maintenance schedule.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2008 20:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
The fry were kept isolated in a separate breeding tank with a layer of marbles... Water change done daily.. Water is stale rain water up to a week old.
I was feeding them very sparingly and the rotifilia feed I use wasnt alot..

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 01:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
This might sound very silly but where did the rain water come from?

Do you realize if off a roof it can be extremely polluted also if collected directly it can still be polluted by the rubbish in the air.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 08:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
stealth114
-----
Hobbyist
male trinidad-tobago
EditedEdited by stealth114
Its actually a bucket let out in the open to catch it..

Also I use water from our reserve potable water tank.. Our tap water comes from dammed rivers...

Our tap water quality is one of the higest around I can safely say...

Hobbyists
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2008 04:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies