Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBala dilemma
Littlecatjoe

---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 587
Votes: 3
canada
This evening I came downstairs to check email and throw some laundry in the dryer when I noticed that my Bala Shark looked like a bulldog!!

Seems he (/she/it?) had picked up a piece of gravel that was too big for spitting back out? I watched for almost half an hour trying to decide if it was something I should intervene about or if the fish would spit it out eventually on it's own. I finally took pity on the poor guy and netted him- which oddly enough was EXTREMELY easy- laid him on some paper towel and gently pried the rock out with some round-nose tweezers..... Made the oddest scraping noise too!

The silly thing is now rubbing its mouth parts all over the sides of the tank and looking much happier. What strange things my fish are getting into when I'm busy upstairs!!!

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
This is a perfect example of looking at your tank not just a look see attitude. It also shows what can happen if the tank is left unattended for a few days. Well done you are now a fish Dr.
My stupid large Silver Shark got spooked and burried his into the substrate I actually had to pull him out. I have three large ones and they often jump out while I am cleaning the tank. I just wet my hands catch it and put ot back again.

Have a look in [link=My Profile]http://
www.fishprofiles.com/interactive/forums/profile.asp?userid=6741" style="COLOR: #00FF00[/link] for my tank info

[link=Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tanks]http://photobucket.com/albums/b209/keithgh/Betta%20desktop%20tank/" style="COLOR: #00FF00[/link]

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Wow yikes :%).....hopefully this wont turn into a propaganda technique to make us do more laundry .

Lucky it came out so easy! I remember sitting by and trying to help out a member who had a danio manage to get a piece of food stuck in the mouth and poking out the gills :%)...came out eventually

^_^

[hr width='40%']
[/font]

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
you know.. i was walking around walmart tonight and noticed the tank of oscars had just been fed, but they didnt feed the oscars small rosy reds, but more like comet goldfish. anyways.. the goldfish were almost too big for the oscars to swallow, and there was actually one with a goldfish stuck in his mouth, you could see it was making it hard for it to breathe, and you could see the goldfish flipping about nearly slamming the oscars head into the wall. the poor thing had a half inch of goldfish tail still hanging out of his mouth, and wasnt spitting the fish out for anything...

i went to tell the manager and by the time they came by to see it, the other oscars had taken a few chunks off the load for him.. if i had room, i would take all the fish they have, off their hands, because its obvious no one around there knows what they're doing.

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Littlecatjoe

---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 587
Votes: 3
canada
Yikes Babel,

At least Balas are a tad bigger than Danios- more fish to hang on to, and easier to get a grip on the chunk of gravel without taking half the fish's head as well...

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:59Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies