Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCherry Barbs - Hiding
camliner
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 5
Votes: 3
male usa
I have two Cherry Barbs in my tank... a male and a female. The female likes to hide inside a waterfall ornament I have. Similar to this one. The problem is that she goes into the hollow part under the mountain section (the swim holes are connected inside the ornament). I'm worried that she will get stuck in there.

My question is, am I worried over nothing?
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2007 17:19Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Can you remove the ornament also buy at least two more females this will stop the male anoying just one fish if he keeps it up take him back to your LFS, he might be just an agresive fish.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 03:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
camliner
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Actually, I watched her for about an hour today seeing what was happening.

In another thread here I asked a question about the heater in my aquarium. It was suggested that I turn the lights off to see if the heater was maintaining temperature. About 15 minutes after I turned the lights off, she came out and didn't go back in!

I guess they don't like a lot of light?

I plan to get a few more females, but I'm still trying to break in my new tank with just the two for now. Thanks for the advice!
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2007 04:14Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Can you get a live floating plant this will give her shelter. A good plant is Water Sprite.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2007 03:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tinfoil
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 252
Votes: 1
male netherlands
cherry barbs originate from heavily shaded ditches in Sri Lanka; they indeed do like shade very much.
A large bunch of plants would also do the trick; that way you won't have to cover all of your tank.

I agree that it would also be good to buy at least 2 more females.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2007 15:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
camliner
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Thanks for the info tinfoil. Do you think that would be too many fish for my tank? 10Gal. Buying two more females would make it 2 males and 4 females.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2007 21:12Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tinfoil
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 252
Votes: 1
male netherlands
if the cherries are the only fish in the tank, it won't be a problem; I've got 5 in a 10 gal. right now.

If they are the only fish in the tank, you might consider dimming the lights and putting in large bunches of cryptos.
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2007 11:19Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies