Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFloating Tiger Barbs
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
So my tiger barbs having been doing this thing where their butts seem to float up when they sit still. It seems to get worse after eating. I'm guessing it has to do with them gulping air when they are feeding. What can be done to make this better and prevent it?
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2009 10:02Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
feed them something sinking, or pre-sink their food.

Are there any other signs of illness?

Are they passing waste regularly?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 30-May-2009 16:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited by superlion
Also, it might help to feed them some fresh/frozen-thawed peas (pop the inside out of the pea that you'd normally eat, as the fish can't eat the outside part). This will help clear out their digestive tract so their swimbladder can stabilize.

><>
Post InfoPosted 30-May-2009 16:35Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I have been keeping Tiger Barbs for over two years now, one of my favorite species... I see my TB's do this all the time... It's like they suspend in the tank, nose down without moving for a period of time...

I think if you watch them closely, you'll see that they do it not only after feeding but really any time. I think it's just something these awesome guys just do...

Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2009 12:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I have Black Ruby Barbs and they bottoms up float too. At first I was worried, but they seem to be doing okay. The coloring is fine and they swim the same as usual. They aren't struggling to right themselves. I make sure everyone gets thawed, shelled, smashed peas every 2-3 days. I figure no deaths... They must be okay.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 14-Jun-2009 05:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies